Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Could someone please help? I've just fitted a new DVD-RW and immediately began using Nero 7 Premium to burn a DVD. I'd previously tried out the player with about 3 DVDs. The first two played fine but the third seemed to get stuck midway through playing. I know that the drive plays CDs okay, but the problem is that this DVD I just burned isn't getting recognised by any of my DVD players, least of all the PC itself but the burning process itself appeared to present no problems. I'd have thought Nero 7 could have handled this okay....it's pretty advanced, yes?

In the 'My Computer' menu, it shows up as a 'CD Drive' with my DVD-R inside unless there is nothing inside it, in which case it says 'DVD-RW' (what???). With the new disc inside, if I try to open it, it says 'please insert a disc in Drive E'. Most DVDs now seem to play and I can see the disc names in the 'My Computer' menu but how can I make sure that my discs are burned properly? Is it because I was burning a data DVD and including .avi files which cannot be played on many normal DVD players?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update - After checking, I've noticed that it seems to stick, go slow and then quit with a number of other DVDs, too. It's only a 8x player. Does that have any effect? I wouldn't have thought so, personally. My specs are:

Intel Celeron 2.8 Ghz
512 MB Ram
80 GB Hard Drive
Geforce FX5200 Graphics Card

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mean to be rude but how on earth can I be underpowered? I don't understand. I already have the best PC I could buy with my budget, a good DVD-RW drive and what was apparently a set of the best DVD discs in my local store......?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
when you post your specs if you do not include the power supply in them.then they are not of much use
can only post you a general answer to the information you posted,as to things to check
when you are burning it is pulling extra power and if it does not quite find it you get a corrupted burn
post the details off the label on the side of the power supply

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a bit confused about what you need. I haven't a clue about the hardware of PCs. Do you mean the plug or something inside the PC? The plug has a label on that says 'fitted with a 5 A Fuse'.

·
Moderator Hardware Team
26,228 Posts
The information is on the Power Supply Unit, inside the PC.
It looks something like this

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks koala. It got it now. This is what it says in the same way it is laid out:

INPUT: 230V AC 50-60 Hz 5A

OUTPUT: 430W MAX

+5V 36A +3.3V 28.0A
+12V 20A -12.0V 1.0A
+5VSB 2A -5.0V 0.5A

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Okay, thanks for sticking with me, dai. I downloaded speedfan and am using it now. I'm not sure what info to give you but it does say 'Found ACPI temperature (40.0C)' in the top window and then you've got some voltage readouts at the bottom which read:

VScore1: 1.33V -12V: -7.75V (seemed to change to 10.something)
VScore2: 2.61V -5V: -4.80V (seemed to change to 5/6.something)
+3.3V: 1.78V +5V: 2.0V (seemed to change to 4.19V)
+5V: 3.84V Vbat: 0.00V
+12V: 5.12V

Can I uninstall this program now as it seems to have some features that I don't think I would be able to control or do anything with?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
yes you can dump it those readingcannot be right if the 12v was that low the computer would not be running
see what the bios readings give you and post them like
12v=
5v=
3.3=

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, what are these bios readings and where can I find them?

I have, at the moment, this:

+3.3V: 1.79V
+5.0V: 2.82V (just changed to 1.61V)
+12V: 6.34V

Was this what you were looking for? It's on the left hand side of the 'Speedfan' panel just like the last three lines on the left of my previous post.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
go to your bios by tapping the delete key as you first start up.

the menu you will be looking for might be something like "pc health"

you need to navigate through your bios with the keyboard

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope this is what you're looking for. I entered setup and found the pc health menu. I didn't see 12V=, 5V= and 3.3V=, however. But I found this:-

CPU Core Voltage - 1.32V
DDR Voltage - 2.59V
CPU Temperature - 47 degrees C
CPU Fan Speed - 3125 RPM

Does this help?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, so:

1) Given that the temperature is a little high - Is there any way of reducing the temperature? Perhaps by buying a better fan or maybe some other techy wizardry?

2) I've installed Everest - Can you tell me what I am trying to do with it and also how to do it, please?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
i have not reinstalled everest after reformatting so you will have to go through the different sections try m/b first

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.