Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm running a celeron 566E at 708mhz in a CUBX. I increased the vcore by O.10 volt, from 1.50 to 1.60, and the system seems to perform better. Am I imagining this?
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
To clarify a bit, overvolting helps the stability of an overclock. The downsides are increased heat generation(not huge in your case) and decreased lifespan of the CPU. You only want to turn up the voltage when you need to. Turning it up more than needed will not result in more speed, and will probably make your OC more unstable. It can be a 'trial-and-error' thing, with the 'error' part being a fried CPU.

If your CPU Sspec is SL3W7 or SL46T then you are .1V above the rated voltage, so you are in the 'decreased lifespan' range and on the edge of the 'potential fast frying' range. If your Sspec is SL4PC or SL4NW then you are still within specs. I would imagine that your CPUs are the 1.50Vcore types(sl3w7,sl46t), since this is what your board set the Vcore at, that you are raising.

Overclocking also stresses ALL components of the system, not just the CPU, so if there is a weak link, it will be found MUCH faster with OCing. That is why it can be beneficial to run several benchmarking and stress tests(like running 'Prime95' for 24 hours) to insure your OC is safe and stable. Stress testing CAN cause system failures and meltdowns. Benchmarking tests also help reveal the performance gains, to help decide whether an OC is worth it or not.

Your OCing and your testing depends on your needs and your willingness to accept the risks. No-one but you can make the judgement to OC, since it depends on ALL your components and their condition. Hope this helps you with your decision.

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
John:

I personally found adding more ram to be much more effective that speeding thinks up in a P3 enviro ????? how much ram are you currently running ?????

also running scsi drives will lighten the load on the CPU dramitically

all these componets mentioned can be bought cheap on ebay as long as you not looking at the recently released versions

i.e. adapted 2940 pci controller card and Seagate Ultra-2 10,000 rpm scsi drives (not ultra-3 lvd models)

sd ram modules of 512 mb size (check to see if your mobo nneds high density or low density)

regards

joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Joe,
I'm running 255mbs ram, windows 98se.
Yes, I found also that the SCSI drive is very fast. I have one on my other system and may switch it to this one. I'm operating on dailup, so I'm going to built a rocket here. This is the same computer you advised me on re a bios upgrade etc. (cubx, celeron 566e clocked at 708mhz). I've been trying to clock it at 850, which several people claim to have successfully done, but it just doesn't seem to want to do it. I was really just interested in knowing if anyone knows whether a vcore increase would make performance difference in performance at the same mhz, or if I was imagining it.
Thanks again for your help.
John

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
John:

I think you OC'ing goals of 800 out of a 566 cleron might be too hot for stability ????? thats a real big stretch

I would stick to the approx 700 OC and bump up the ram to 1 gig / if your ram cant keep pace with the processor then there is no sense making the processor run so hard ???????

regards

joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.