Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told, which surprised me, that an alternator does not put the battery back to factory specs.
So if a battery was dead, you got a jump, drove the vehical, it still does not put the battery voltage were it belongs.
Can this be true?
[as i am now charging my kids car, LOL]

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
Yes. The battery starts the car and once the alternator is running, it puts a chagre into the battery. If the battery is no l onger able to hokd a charge, it will need replaced.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was told, which surprised me, that an alternator does not put the battery back to factory specs.
So if a battery was dead, you got a jump, drove the vehical, it still does not put the battery voltage were it belongs.
Can this be true?
[as i am now charging my kids car, LOL]
This is correct. A fully drained battery actually damages the cells of the battery. It will never be the same as it was origionally, but should work well enough to operate the car. After a few complete drains it would probably be shot and not be able to hold charge like ^ mentioned.

·
Registered
62 Posts
heres a helpful hint..........if the battery dies......pop the caps drop an aspirin in each cell.....it helps multiply the acid in the battery........kinda like that upset stomach u get when u pop 4 aspirin in the morning to get rid of that hangover.....it developes more acid in that gut.......

·
TSF Enthusiast
5,538 Posts
heres a helpful hint..........if the battery dies......pop the caps drop an aspirin in each cell.....it helps multiply the acid in the battery........kinda like that upset stomach u get when u pop 4 aspirin in the morning to get rid of that hangover.....it developes more acid in that gut.......
i havent heard anyone say that in a long time my dad used do that,and it works. :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.