Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
I got a new Docking station (HP Thunderbolt Dock 120 W G2) and it works perfectly with my HP EliteBook but it does not work with my (quite old) Desktop PC (MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3) which has only USB 3.0 Gen2. I also have another Docking station (Lenovo Dockingstation Dock Hybrid USB-C) which works fine with my Desktop PC but not properly with my Laptop :(

So do you have any idea why the HP Dock does not work with my Desktop? Is it because its thunderbolt and not compatible with USB 3.0? I also installed the driver of the HP dock on the desktop but this didn´t change anything.

Would be really great if you could help me!

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,606 Posts
I'm not sure why you need a docking station with a Desktop?
Does your Desktop have USB-C port? If not, how are you connecting it to the desktop? If using an adapter, that may not allow it to get recognized.
Other then that, Thunderbolt 3 and USB -3 have the same size plug but are vastly different and one is not supported by the other.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want to use either my Laptop or my Desktop and want to switch all the devices whitch are connected to it with just one USB-Cable.

my desktop does not have an USB-C port or Thunderbolt but I am using an adapter, which works with the other docking station but somehow not with this Dockingstation :(

so you think that the Thunderbolt dock is just capable to connect via Thunderbolt and not via USB?

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,881 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.