Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently reformatted winxp and reinstalled OfficeXP 2002. I tried sending a .doc file to someone, also running OfficeXP 2002, and word crashed when they tried to open it (they tried opening a 3rd party's .doc file with no problems, so I'm sure its me).

I get no errors and have no other problems with word, as far as I can tell. After this problem popped up, I tried a repair and then a complete reinstall of Office, with no noticeable changes.

I should point out that I am also struggling with crashing issues, which you can find chronicled here. I suppose it is possible that this problem ties into that one, but I believe the problem there is hardware related, so I think they might be separate. Anyway, and advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
crap, forget that link in the last post, it's not a .doc checker, but an update to office 2007 that does check the validity of the file, but ya gotta have office 2007 beta+ installed. But my point was to find a tool that checks the format of the doc file...there are many out there. I have never heard of a .doc file crashing word, unless perhaps it infected with some virus. But in all these years of using word, never even seen that. Anyway, try any one of these free/sharewares: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=word+repair+tool&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
BS

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea; I uploaded a sample document here.

Most programs that I'm finding online focus on fixing corrupted word document files, but as far as I can tell, every file I create is corrupted, so I think the fix needs to focus more directly on Office. I'll keep looking, though... :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good idea; I uploaded a sample document here.
Most programs that I'm finding online focus on fixing corrupted word document files, but as far as I can tell, every file I create is corrupted, so I think the fix needs to focus more directly on Office. I'll keep looking, though... :)

Lujan, dont bother, as the file you posted appears fine. It opens in office 2003 sp2 and office 2007 beta TR; just a simple letter sized doc with this content: "This is a test document written on a corrupt (?) version of Microsoft Word, version 2002" in times new roman 12, yes? I used NOD32 and no virus was detected during the scan.

Like I inferred before, maybe ur third party's setup is hosed or the file was ruined via email, ftp, or whatever transport you used to get it to them.

But sounds like you have enough problems without worrying about this one!
good luck.
BS

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

File opened fine using Word XP in Vista RC1

Delete your MS Word template file "document 1" by finding and deleting all copies of the MS Word template file called

normal.dot

MS Word will recreate the file when you next re-open Word

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Ceri,

I ran a search and couldn't find any normal.dot files; I tried after opening and closing word, after saving another file, and while word was open. It just doesn't seem to exist. Any ideas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
location of normal.dot(whatevers)

Hey Ceri,

I ran a search and couldn't find any normal.dot files; I tried after opening and closing word, after saving another file, and while word was open. It just doesn't seem to exist. Any ideas?
should be here by default:
C:\Documents and Settings\[user]Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

When you the search

You also need to select the Advanced Options and tick in everything there

System Folders
hidden
Case sensitive

etc.

hth

You will have a Normal.dot file if you have MS Word.

Because the file is used a lot. Every time you open or word Word it can become corrupt and cause problems typical of those you have.

hth

Ceri

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.