Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using windows XP professional,and i have four partitions...When i click my 4th partition (ie F:\)a windows popups and asks "The disk is not formatted do you want to format it now"..I have more datas in that drive..How to solve this problem..

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Don't format anything.
Case 1 (bad). It's a hardware failure of sorts. Listen closely to the drive. Does it make any strange sounds (continuous click, grind, screech) when you try to access F:? If so don't touch the drive anymore. Any more access could only make it worse and decrease your chances of getting what's there. Another way to check if there's a hardware failure is to run diagnostics. What brand is your drive? Go to the manufacturer's web site, download diagnostics (usually for bootable CD or floppy), boot from the media and run diagnostics. I want to note that I've had problems where only a specific partition couldn't be accessed before and it was a hardware failure - whenever I tried to get to it I'd hear constant clicking - amazingly enough, the main partition (C:) was perfectly readable! But it failed hardware diagnostics. At that stage only a data recovery company can salvage what's there, but they cost an arm and a leg.
Case 2 (medium). Could be a logical error. If after running hardware diagnostics everything checks out ok, try testdisk. You could have a software glitch (maybe partition error, or corrupt info about the partition type (aka what file system's on it)). Here's a tutorial on how to run testdisk:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16...rtition-or-files-in-your-computer-194492.html
Before you make any changes, make sure the reported information is consistent with what you know about the drive, and that you can browse your files.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.