Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RAM - do you always get what you pay for?

a question on behalf of my dad concerning RAM.

type of computer user:

day-to-day typing and email, digital image manipulation, the occasional heavy photoshop use, occasional gaming (m$ flight sim 2003 (on full detail with scenery packs)), 'umpteen apps open at any given time, files spread over 2 WD 120GB IDE drives set to RAID Striping using a P4 2.2 (or 2.6 - i forget) ............ oh, and wants programs to open immediatly after the shortcut is clicked (if not before!)

when it comes to RAM which is the money best spent on, which would yeild the best results;

1. 2GB of some cheap(ish) PC3200 DDR RAM

2. 1GB of these PC3200 DDR 'matched pairs', the high performance stuff from the likes of OCZ

given that if you shop around both options come in at a similar price.

all opinions/experience welcome, and if anyone can back it up with some proof (facts and figures) or point us to some websites then that would be great.

thx in advance.

goatboy & dad

·
Registered
376 Posts
What motherboard are you using? The first thing is to ensure compatibility with your system. If you purchase incompatible memory, you'll have some bad problems.

The matched pairs are quite good if you've got a dual-channel motherboard. These pairs ensure that the modules will work together with no problems. This ensures stability.

Going for low latency memory modules will improve performance by quite a lot. If he wants to open things quickly, going with 1GB matched pair ultra-low latency would be the way to go. If your memory timings can run at 2-2-2-6, you'll be in good shape. Two memory modules will run faster than having four memory modules since they can have better timings set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the mobo is an Asus P4PE - and the processor is a P4 2.533 aparently.

well check the specs.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I seriously doubt that anything you mention will use the 2gig of RAM, you are most likely wasting your money on more than 1gig. If you want reliability, I'd insist on ECC memory, I use it whenever I'm building a system that requires maximum reliability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.