Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
omfg, there is this little file inside windows 98se (user.dat) that if you delete it, it restores your machine to a refreshed state.

i did it, and this is what happened.

it reset my entire desktop
it added all the icons that windows is installed with
it removed all of my hardware
my uninstall list is empty
i had to run msconfig and tell certain things not to start (again)
all of my expired software runs again
i had to change my folder options (again)
i had to tell it what to use as an internet connection

basically it made my computer as stupid as it was when i was done with the 30 minute windows install...

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
USER.DAT is one of the two files that comprise the system registry, the other being SYSTEM.DAT. It's small wonder that it screws things up, since you deleted all of the user specific registry settings! :rolleyes:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually

well, it didnt really screw anything up.

i simply had to reinstall my sound card and video and ethernet.

as far as everything else goes, i was back up and running normal in about 15 minutes.

one good thing that came out of it, is that if i ever want to use a peice of shareware for longer than it says i can, i can simply delete this file again.

this also allows me to reinstall and use things after they have already been used past their free trial.

now, i dont see a need to ever buy things like that again. :p

the only thing that didnt make it through this process was my msn messenger, but it reinstalls in about 10 seconds.

see, i have been asking people for a long time how to make a pc forget what all has ever been installed on it, and never did anyone say it would be this simple.

in fact, even though all of my games say they arent installed on the add/remove, they all still work.

it will even let me install them again in a different place if i like.

last night i had two full copies of starcraft running, and then i started some other stuff.

this really is pretty cool.
i can think of a dozen ways to exploit this little quirk.

does anyone know any other little "bugs" like this one?

one that will maybe allow me to tell my machine that it isnt what it thinks it is?
there is a game i would like to run, but my system reports not being able to run it, even though it has before. somehow i managed to get it to see my AMD K6-2 450mhz as a 900 Duron.
i would like to do this again.

~BoB~

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.