Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the HP Pavillion 742n. It's got 1.66 GHz and 480MB of RAM.

I added some ram long ago. The properties on My Computer should reflect that, right?

I have a lot of photos, I use iTunes (sometimes slow loading) and want better performance on downloads, streaming, etc.

If I max out at 1GB, will it do me any good? Where should I see the difference?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I am skeptical adding more ram will make a big diff, it will improve some ?

your machine is actually kinda dated for the more recent software apps

if you could get a good deal on a 512mb stick, who knows

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree. It is more your cpu now depending if it is an AMD or Intel. If is an older Intel replacing this will be more of a performance seen.

But adding Ram is never a bad Idea unless you would rather save that money and get a new PC

·
Registered
696 Posts
good find...

The I would suggest more ram, and maybe a faster HD if your Motherboard can support maybe a EIDE HD. So instead of getting IO speeds of around 28 you would get around 40 and up..

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
The download and streaming performance is has more to do with your internet connection speed than your PC speed. So I have to agree with Linderman, and say that your going to a whole lot of of performance increase.(At least not in the area you're looking for improvement)

Checkout the link below for tips on increasing your computer performance.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/articles-tutorials-reviews/windows-pc-software-articles/132856-increase-your-computer-s-speed-without-decreasing-your-dollars.html

Matt

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Thanks. Diskeeper is nice, but I never really liked that it had very limited functions. The pay version is great though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just realized that all 4 of my usb ports are 1.1 and not 2.0. That's a drag. so, I think I might just look into a new CPU. There's a bunch of upgrades happening at once!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.