Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Drift HD170 Stealth POV camera for my racecar and I will be shooting video in 720p 30 and 60fps(for shots I may want to do some slow motion editing on in the future). I have a HP Pavillion P6240y 64bit desktop with a Intel Pentium E5400 dual core processor, 6 gigs of ddr2 ram(may upgrade to 8), Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100 and a 250 watt power supply. Will a better graphics card help me with the editing or will my current setup be sufficient? I have read I may need to upgrade my power supply if I go with a better video card also. Is my processor up to the task? I will only be doing very basic editing. I may look into doing some slow motion work on it but that may be too advanced for me right now as a beginner at this. I do not play any computer game so that is not a factor when picking a video card. My camera shows up Friday so I can start playing with it this weekend. I also need to find some video editing software for it. Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Lets see, the CPU is a bit on the slow side but if you'll keep it simple it shouldn't be a big problem(Although a better one would surely help). It would just take a long time producing the video once you're done with your editing. RAM is definitely enough. Now, I can tell you straight up the video card just won't work. HD and integrated don't go along well, you'll have to upgrade. And yes, that means a PSU replacement as well.

For the life of me I can't seem to find your model at HP's website, do you know what Motherboard you have in there?

Also if you would tell us your budget, that would help with picking out something for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry...that was supposed to be p6204y. I'd honestly like to keep it as low budget as I can. Would under $200 for both video card and power supply work?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ok, your MoBo will take any PCI-E GPU.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N450-1GI GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Here is a really decent card, should do what you need pretty well.

And the PSU to go along with it:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Almost a perfect $200.

My apologies for the late reply, my internet was being a pain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the help! Funny how one hobby leads you to another...I never thought I'd be working on the inside of my computer. The two items you picked look good. I wasn't expecting a 650 watt power supply...that graphics card must need some power. I was also wondering if adding another 2 gigs of ram to my 6 would help or be pointless. I can get an identical one to match the 3 in my computer for about 30 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I just ordered the video card and power supply that you recommended from Newegg and it is shipping today. Is there any special steps I need to take when I change either of these components or can I simply power down the computer and add the video card and change the power supply?

And what processor would you recommend just in case I decide to upgrade that also?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, you just replace the PSU and add the new card. Just make sure to ground yourself first before you start working inside the PC, the case itself is a good way to do it, just touch any metal part of it and you'll be good to go.

BTW, I suggest you take a shot of how the system looks currently from the inside so you can use it as a guide when connecting the new PSU.

About the CPU, a core 2 quad will be the best CPU this MoBo can support. If you wanna go for newer ones, the MoBo will have to be upgraded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.