Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to set up a DSL connection for my mother who now has dial up. I can't really think of a reason why she would need a router. A router is designed for a home network. She has just one PC and will never have more than that connected. Also, she will have firewall software. I personally feel safer behind the router but I don't believe it would be worth it for her. Does anyone have any good arguing points for this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
No you do not need a router unless you are planning on adding more devices to your network. You will be better off saving your money untill you do.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Most routers do include a hardware firewall which is arguably superior to software solutions, so that's one reason to possibly get one. On the other hand, it's extra hardware that won't be doing much. If you want it just for the firewall protection I'd get a used router.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have to agree with ebackhus on this one, check it out and see what you can get a used router for. Think of it as a one time investment, you will not have to my Norton or McAfee's firewalls. IMHO, the firewall does not belong on the computer itself -- and I would caution hooking that computer straight to the DSL modem without protection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.