Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done removing a nasty virus from my mom's laptop, and was checking to make sure everything was working correctly. The wireless connected fine, but pages won't load. when I went into ipconfig it showed the DNS suffix as domain.not_set.invalid, which shouldn't matter, as it shows that for the wireless adapter from which I'm getting internet access from now. Anyways, I went in and changed it in the TCP/IP settings under Network Connections. I have it set up to obtain the IP and DNS automatically, which it's doing according to the ipconfig output below:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Fritzie
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : dsl.applwi.sbcglobal.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E
Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-5E-C9-32-23

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dsl.applwi.sbcglobal.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4E-BC-CD-31
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.94.156.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:13:46 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:13:46 AM

Alternatively, I tried using the strategy that the AT&T tech used when they setup internet with my dad's laptop, which was specifying a static LAN IP and specifying the DNS server, but that did not work this time. I guess my question is, in the process of the virus removal, could something have gotten removed from the wireless card's firmware? This seems like some sort of DNS issue to me, but I was wondering if someone has some advice. It worked fine in the past with obtaining the IP and DNS automatically. Additionally, my other computer recognizes my mom's laptop when I go to My Network Places, but won't open, it too says a DNS error.

Finally, here are some of the messages in that I found in the Event Viewer:

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B6DB75C2-126C-42BE-88F9-CC51695794B0}.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00234EBCCD31. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00234EBCCD31. The IP address being used is 169.254.174.37

Hope someone can help me out here, I'm usually able to figure this stuff out, as I have done it in the past on my mom's laptop. For some reason I must not be seeing the problem, so I'm hoping someone else can.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
This appears to be XP, if not please post back and I'll give you the correct fix.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
  • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
  • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
  • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
Check your Services are Started on all PCs:
  • COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
  • Computer Browser
  • DHCP Client
  • DNS Client
  • Network Connections
  • Network Location Awareness
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
  • Server
  • TCP/IP Netbios helper
  • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
  • WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
  • Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.