Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About two to three weeks ago my household began to have some severe internet problems. We did our own research and ran several nslookups, changed to openDNS, IPCONFIG /flushdns /renew /release commands, we've changed networks, ran two different virus scans as well as Hijack this -- everything has either not worked or came up clean (haha the one time I actually WANTED a virus or trojan and its nowhere to be found..) Anyway..

This is the "best" way I can describe the problem. Opening an internet browser -- we've Firefox/Chrome/IE will result in either "DNS ERROR" or "This webpage is not available" errors. We've replaced our router which didn't solve the problem, we've hooked up our connection to our modem, got a new modem and a new IP from our ISP and yet nothing has resolved this. This is an intermittent problem, and sometimes we can go several hours without finding an error; and then other times we can't even get to a single website.

What we can do... is even more mysterious. Active connections such as internet radio streams stay connected with no packet loss or buffering. If we sit at the webpage long enough -- about 10 refreshes will finally load the page. The most SEVERE times this problem occurs is right after long periods of non-usage at the computer. This is also present on all five of our household computers as well as present on PS3 and Wii. Connections will not resolve or even connect to the internet or programs. Yet active connections -stay- open with no packet loss whatsoever.

Other apparent symptoms I've noticed are connecting to the network, but then I will have local or limited connectivity and cannot get to the internet.

Our ISP was just out to the house this morning to look at it, and unfortunately they had no solution for us and told us to call the head network administrator for the company. So I am losing hope... haha.

Any help would be much much much appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some preliminary tests:

Open a command prompt, type in ipconfig /all, and Mark, Copy (Enter) and paste the output in a post here.

Also, is there any strange behavior, like redirecting you away from security-based websites? You say that you can get to websites if you refresh enough times... sounds like there is too short a timeout or the Internet is just ridicuolously slow...

Also, copy the results of the following, using the method outlined above.

ping google.com

{Results}

ping google.com -w 1000

{Results}

The second one will take longer, but let it be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GregsComp
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : svtv.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : svtv.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-0A-57-AF
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f096:c905:de57:bc70%9(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:33:02 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:33:01 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.235.172.29
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-0A-57-AE
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : svtv.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.svtv.com
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{4F4704C5-5CD6-4F3B-8232-DC1291105
49F}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

-----------

C:\Program Files (x86)\TVersity\Media Server>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [209.85.171.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=237

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 116ms, Maximum = 121ms, Average = 119ms

C:\Program Files (x86)\TVersity\Media Server>ping google.com -w 1000

Pinging google.com [209.85.171.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=106ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=237
Reply from 209.85.171.100: bytes=32 time=99ms TTL=237

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 99ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 105ms

The second one did not take any longer than the first?

Also, is there any strange behavior, like redirecting you away from security-based websites? You say that you can get to websites if you refresh enough times... sounds like there is too short a timeout or the Internet is just ridicuolously slow...
There are no redirects, no viruses, no trojans... the computer is purely clean -- as are the other ones on the network. The only strange behavior that happens is the failure to resolve a host or start a connection. Once that connection is established there is no slow down, no packet loss, nothing. Its something I have never seen before, and clearly our tech support from our ISP hasn't either.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry about the delay in response. The internet worked really well for three days, and we thought it might have been just an iffy problem, and then it came back with a vengeance. Its hard to even get to a website anymore.

I've done some searches and I've found similar people having problems with Google Chrome installed since it uses some type of DNS precaching. However I've had Chrome installed since the day it was released and never had any problems until now so I don't think that is the problem. The other computers in the house do not have Chrome installed either so... I have pretty much ruled that out.

To further isolate it to one computer, we shut off each computer and tested each manually. No luck there. Each computer had the problem even when the other networked computers were turned off.

This was an initial run without any changes in regards to the ICMP being changed.
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2521634

Here are the results with the ICMP being changed.
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2521653
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2521646

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some more investigating as well and found out through the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) that all computers on our network are receiving this error. I don't know if its related or not, but it sure seems like a gigantic red flag.

The IP address lease 192.168.1.103 for the Network Card with network address 00044B0A57AF has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When tech support was last here (after they gave us a new IP address) they gave us a new modem. We still have the same problem. They had no idea what to do since it didn't work except forward us to the lead network administrator for the ISP which we have yet to talk to.

I am pretty confident its not a PC related issues as its persistent throughout the entire network.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
Since you have the issue on a number of machines, that points to a common cause. You've replaced the modem, so the next step would be to fix/replace the ISP. :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.