Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While using MSN the other day I got a message that MSN caused a problem in the msvfw32.dll file and now must close MSN. Now I get the error almost every time I use MSN. I downloaded a new msvfw32.dll file from the Internet (www.dll-files.com) I believe. Once I get it my modem will not connect to MSN. I have to remove the MSN dialing properties by shift+ctlr+F12 key at the MSN login screen. This works but it is such a hassle.

Had trouble getting the new DLL file installed since it kept saying it was in use when trying to copy it to the c:\windows\system folder. Used my NAV install disk and started PC from CD. This worked and after renaming the bad dll file to .old I was able to copy the new one. That's when new problems came up.

I tried to use MSN and I got an error message that I would have to download and install a newer verison of Internet Explorer to use MSN. That experiment failed. I then put the old msvfw32.dll back in the system folder and MSN worked again but with the bad DLL error message after about 5 minutes of use.

Anyone know where I can download a compatible MSVFW32.DLL file? I am using Windows ME for my operating system.

Thanks. :cry:

P

·
0 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

First of all you do not need to download the dll file. In some cases it is necessary to replace the dll files but it is not a common situation. Your system is most likely infected with malware. If I were you I would uninstall msn center first. Then click on the greyknights link below and follow the steps. Following that submit a hjt log under hjt log help forum to get expert assistance to remove the malware. Then now we can worry about the system files that remained corrupted. ( And if you need to such an operation like replacing a dll file you have to use safe mode ) After your system is declared clean you can reinstall the applications back.

Let us know with the progress.

Kindest regards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the "greyknights" link? I do not see it below your post.

Thanks.

BTW, I do not even have MSN installed and I still get this message.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi, The file is replaced by using SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM INFORMATION, TOOLS, SYSTEM FILE CHECKER. Just follow the instructions, point to the location of the new DLL and tell SFC to direct it to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. Or just copy it in SAFE MODE and Windoze wont interfer.

Good Luck,
Jim

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, The file is replaced by using SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM INFORMATION, TOOLS, SYSTEM FILE CHECKER. Just follow the instructions, point to the location of the new DLL and tell SFC to direct it to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. Or just copy it in SAFE MODE and Windoze wont interfer.
Windoze... that's good! :laugh:

Jim's suggestion should work, if you really want to replace the dilly file; or you could copy it to a floppy and use your startup disk to delete/copy the file in DOS.
-Andy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh, just remember that Win95 was the little OS that "almost" could. Win98SE would solve most of your .dll problems and runs well on older machines, even some that once ran 3.1.
-Andy

·
Mentally divergent
1,341 Posts
Yeah, I've got one but you may not like it.

MSN is a horrible ISP. And it just makes no sense at all (except to Microsoft) to have to run their huge, bloated, troublesome application on your PC.

Sign up with a simple ISP like Copper.net, Fry's.com, etc. then dump MSN and uninstall all their bloatware.

I'm the unofficial IT guy for an older couple we know. They signed up with MSN years ago and wouldn't consider changing just because that's what they were used to. 90% of the time when I had to go over and fix their PC it was MSN that had pooched them. They're using Copper, Firefox, and Thunderbird now and everything works like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bartender,
BIG AGREEMENT ON THIS SIDE!
MSN, you are trash and should be burned at the stake, you and all your little plugins too!
-Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy guys! I HAD MSN but I have seen dropped it and uninstalled it as I now have high speed Internet with Comcast (the cable company giant on the east coast). However, the error message I reported in the past still comes up every time I start up my computer.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Why have you now replied to your thread as it is over 2yrs old :4-dontkno

To your issue...

You stated you placed the file in the system folder, the file is actually to be in the system32 folder, this might be why your still having issues.
If your getting this error everytime you boot you need to look in the system configuration utility / startup tab and see what is running

msvfw32.dll is the module that contains bitmap compression and decompression routines used for Microsoft Video for Windows

·
Mentally divergent
1,341 Posts
Jeepers, GG, I didn't even look at the dates - how did such an old thread get resurrected?
Well, at least the OP has dumped MSN!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geek Girl said: Why have you now replied to your thread as it is over 2yrs old?

The reason is someone replied to my old post. Anyway, I have copied the MSVFW32.dll in to the system32 folder as you suggested. I'll restart my computer and see what happens.

Geek Girl, I notice you live in PA as I do. Does Microsoft have an office in PA or are you a tele-commuter. Where is PA do you live? I live in Lancaster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK. I have put the msvfw32.dll file in the system32 folder. I restarted the computer and still get this erro message:

The msvfw32.dll file is linked to missing export NTDLL.dll:NtQueryViritualMemory

Since I am running Windows ME i do not understand why I would be missing an NT file as someone told me it is referencing.

Any help would be great. It is an annoying error message but does not appear to cause any other problems - that I can tell.

Thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
After some lengthly Google searches (been searching since the thread got action again)
I found that the message is due to an incompatible program installation.
Whatever you installed just prior to getting the error, look in Add\Remove Programs and uninstall it if possible. Since is started with MSN I am thinking you tired installing a version of MSN that may not be compatible with WIN ME

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just discovered another msvfw32.dll error on startup. I have Skype, the free software that allows you to chat and talk over the Internet. At startup I get the error message that Skype could not load the msvfw32.dll file. Skype still works but it has to be started mannually by clicking on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.