Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I seem to have a problem with my old D-514 router (b). It was purchased 2 years ago and never used. Now we got DSL throught Qwest and I thought it would be nice to finally use it. Coincidentally, it looks perfect for our situation: an old Presario 700 laptop (XP Home) with a shot wireless, which we intend to connect via Ethernet wire: and a new Toshiba S105 4334 laptop with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 which we inted to use via the wireless.
When I connect the Qwest modem directly to either computer they work great, fast. When I connected the Presario throught the router, it shows "Local Area Connected", but no Internet. The Toshiba detects the wireless signal, but can not connect either. To me, it looks that the DSL signal can not get through the router. I followed the Manual to the letter, including the order of plugging/powering on the devices; my connections look fine. When I tried to do a set up through "192.168.0.1" as advised, it gives me the page that says "Can not find Server". The CD that came with the router is nothing more than a digital copy of the booklet. I reset the router once, but that did not help.
I would gretly appreciate all your advise and help.
Thank You!

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Did you do a factory reset by holding the reset more than 10 seconds with power on? If you do that and still can't connect to 192.168.0.1, you either have a bad router, bad cable, or something amiss with the computer. If multiple computers can't connect to the router after a factory reset, it's time for a new router.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Make sure you reboot what ever computer you use to connect to the router. Your NIC may not be renewing the address for the router when it was disconnected from the modem.

Also make sure you reboot/power cycle the DSL modem every time you change the device connected to it.

JamesO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for your replies.
My guess is that I had a faulty cable, so I replaced the one from the computer to the router's LAN port. No problem trying to get the computer to talk to the router, so I started the set-up. Unfortunately, the ISP protocol for the Qwest DSL is PPPoA, and the router does not offer that set-up option (only Dinamic IP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP and BigPond). So no Internet with that router. I just ordered an upgraded modem from Qwest, and will put the router back in the basement :sigh: .
Thank you again for your time and knowledge.
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.