Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am not sure if this is a Windows issue or a hardware issue, but it began happening after the last round of Windows 7 updates, so my guess is that it's Windows. Please let me know what you think.

I have a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1. I have a special power plan set up so that I can watch movies without it going to sleep. The display turns off after 45 minutes of no activity. So far it's worked just fine. But the last couple of times that the display goes dark, when I try to wake it up again the screen just blinks and flashes as if it's trying to come back on, but it never does. Just keeps blinking and flashing. I finally have to power down the machine and restart. Any ideas? Thank you!

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,801 Posts
Hi, try system restore to a point prior to the updates and see if it behaves then.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After uninstalling the updates one by one, I finally tried a system restore. This is the message I got:

"System restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. System restore failed to extract the file (C:\) from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x8000ffff)"

What does this mean? I looked it up on support.microsoft.com, but I'm not sure about applying any hotfixes. Please advise.

·
68,801 Posts

·
68,801 Posts
That appears to be the recommended course of action form MS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it has something to do with the NVIDIA driver that was also updated. I'll go to their forums and see what I can find.

·
Registered
40,973 Posts
What is the make and model# of your laptop?
Go to the manufacturers Support/Download Drivers site. Type in your make and model# and download the Video/Display driver for your model. This driver may be older then the one Microsoft installed, but it is the one specifically designed for your laptop video card. If that works, In the future choose not to have install an nVidia update from Windows Update.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the tip! Do I need to uninstall the current driver first, or will the older driver override it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is one other problem though. The laptop came with Windows Vista. I have since upgraded it to Windows 7. The original display driver was for Vista. When I change the option to Windows 7 on the download page, the driver disappears. This likely indicates that the driver won't work with Windows 7. Would you agree?

·
68,801 Posts
No not necessarily some vista drivers have worked with win 7

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.