Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran sfc with the results that some files were not repaired. I posted the problem sometime last year and got these command lines to run:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image
/RestoreHealth
This time running the first line got a bunch of statements and an attribute error notice with instructions to check the DISM logs. I checked the available attribute list for DISM by entering DISM.EXE and the attribute doesn't appear to be available.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,545 Posts

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,994 Posts
If it fails again, please post (attach) the following log .... C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\DISM.log ... which may give us some clues as to why it is failing.

If the logfile is too large you may have to upload it to a file sharing service, and post the link.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
If you are not able to complete the DISM command, chances are great that your HDD/SSD may have Bad Sectors and may be in the first stages of failing.
Download DiskGenius in my signature. Select your Disk and go up to the toolbar to Disk/View SMART Information which will give you a quick snapshot of the HDD's Health. Anything less the Good means the drive needs to be replaced.
You can also go to View or Repair Bad Sectors/Start Verify. This will take a very long time. But show you a map of any Bad Sectors. It may fail, which confirms the drive must be replaced. If there are more then a few Bad Sectors, the drive should be replaced.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have DiscGenius, which I obtained early last year, I believe at your recommendation. The last time I ran it, about 4 months ago, there were definitely some failures but not a lot of red blotched areas. I will do this after trying it again. I also use it to create a disc clone. That said, will the disk clone copy the bad sectors?

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
The last time I ran it, about 4 months ago, there were definitely some failure but not a lot of red blotched areas.
you only need a couple "Errors" or Red Bad Sectors for the drive to be on the verge of failure. The fact that you saw it had errors and it will not finish DISM, confirms the drive needs to be replaced. With the price of HDD's/SSD's now, there is no reason to keep working with a drive that is failing. Unless you don't care about your data.

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
Now run SFC /scannow again. If you get no Integrity Violations, it worked. But the HDD still needs to be replaced.

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
When you run a surface scan, like DiskGenius, or Check Disk, it marks the Bad Sectors and moves that data to a new sector near by, those sectors will not show up as Bad on another scan. There are only a few spare sectors. 6 Bad Sectors is far too many. The drive is in the process of failing. It has a little life left on it, but you are just delaying the inevitable. Be sure to keep a current backup of the drive. We strongly suggest you Replace the drive ASAP, or one day soon it will not boot at all, Replace with an SSD if possible.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According to this, which I found Googling "Do bad sectors get transferred in cloning", the only software that would do this is Clonezilla. "Because a bad sector is physically a bad spot on the hard drive that causes the computer to not be able to read or save data to that spot, there is no way to copy the bad spot to another drive. Only the data that can be read and accessed from the old hard drive will be able to be copied to the new drive. Physical errors on an old drive cannot be transferred to the new drive.
Written by Mark Hasting"
I
f this is correct, I will make sure my drive is cloned monthly. I do a bi-weekly image and daily data backup to external storage. I have an IT support person who makes house calls. So I'll take my chances.

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
You are a guy who likes to live on the edge. I respect that. Hopefully you will be able to still make an Image of your drive in case of disaster. Most clone software will not allow it.
With the cost of drives today, There is no reason to work with a failing drive. In the end, it's your data, do with it as you will.

·
Moderator , Security Team
1,994 Posts
The old adage .... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure .... would seem to apply here. As spunk.funk says, drives are pretty cheap, whereas some data can be irreplaceable, so really it's just a question of how valuable your data is to you, and only you can know that.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use paid versions (as always) of Diskimage for cloning and Maximum Reflex for imaging. While MR claims to have a WinPE version of cloning, I don't see it. Since I already do cloning, it is not a question of spending money. 'Nuff said.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts