Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a new motherboard in my wifes computer I've been unable to load the mobo config disk or anything eles.
I fdisk and reformated the HD on a defferent system because at first it said it couldn't find an OS and thought "what the hay, I'' just reinstall the whole OS and start her out fresh".
That's pretty much where I'm stuck at. At first my floppy ribbon was backwards and couldn't get it to read anything. Now when I go to run the windows 98 install floppy all I get is "Disk I/o error Replace the disk, and then press any key".
After several attempts I put in another disk and it spit out, "cannot load DOS! Any key to retry" where it reboots.
The previous system was a pIII sys and now the new mobo has a AMD processor.
I've checked the boot disks and even made a new one.
I've also got a message, "Invalade system disk replace the disk and then press any key.
Thanks for any help!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Check your BIOS setup Boot device order, make sure it's looking for the floppy BEFORE it's looking for hard drives. it sounds to me like it's trying to read the HDD, finding junk, and getting stuck there without continuing to look for a floppy.

If this doesn't solve it, start by giving us your system specs: mobo & disk modem numbers etc.

-clintfan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bios setup seems to be ok. Floppy is 1st HDD0 is next and then LSS*** somthin like that is 3rd and seek others is last.
Mobo and processor is new. AMD 1.3g and mobo is made to run AMD's. HD is a Maxtor 13g and I'm not sure what cd is, but I know its good.
Mobo is a Chaintech CT-7NJL3 or 4 (not sure). Mobo is set to default on a network setting and was able to turn that off. The only jumper problem seems to be with the CPU bus frequency, CPU runs at 166 but when I set the jumper to run at that speed I get NOTHING. Seems to be happy at 100. I think I've got something at 133 but I just cant remember right now. I've reset the CMOS jumper a few times and still nothing.
I've check power, and ribbon to floppy drive to make sure I had good connections. I know it's a good floppy drive, it works in other systems but I still cant get an A prompt out of this new system.
Thanks Ron

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still looking for some help on this please!
Ron

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well I was going to say it sounds like maybe a bad floppy drive, like a broken head or something --it sounds like this floppy is what was already in your wife's PC, not a new drive-- and I was going to say try swapping in a floppy drive from another PC or buy a new drive. But then I read that you're sure it's a good drive. So I don't know... it just really sounds like a bad floppy.

Then on the Microsoft KB for Win98 I found this, Error Message "Invalid System Disk" After Setup Reboots, don't know if it completely applies, but there might be some ideas in there for you, particularly the part about the boot-sector virus (which probably doesn't disappear when you reformat).

-clintfan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I just had the same problem, the disk I/O error means the floppy , is damaged and not all the info can be loaded. Since you said the cable was backward it means that one of the pin is damaged.
Try buying another floppy.

a_nin_girl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your replies! I'm not sure if the problem was solved with the drive but I got around it.
What I did was just booted from the xp disk. I had tried to boot from w98 disk and that didn't work so I thought I was lost but when I tried to boot from XP BINGO!
As far as my my cable being backwards what I ment was that the cable/ribbon was pluged into the disk drive backwards. Wouldn't read it. The red line on the ribbon was pluged in away from the power line. ...ya know, that's when I was able to get the puter to spit out that it couldn't read the DOS thing with another disk.
Like I said, I'm still not sure if the drive works or not. Not really sure I want to find out. ...it's only a floppy drive, If she really wants to use it she could get a new one and do the install herself. LOL Might even sell tickets to that one!
Either way, thanks for the posts, look for others form me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.