Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my step sister's computer, when you boot up, the first screen says "Drive Fixed (then here looks like the serial code for the western digital harddrive)" it then says press F1 to continue. After I press F1 it displays the Windows 98 Plus loading screen, and does nothing from there. I'll need to check with her whether or not I should format it or not. If the harddrive itself is bad I guess I'll just buy a new one. It's not old, the entire rig was built around Christmas of '01. I'm also probably going to end up installing XP or 2000 on it. Please offer your advice as to what I can do for little or no cost before I buy new parts.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd boot from a Windows 98 startup disk. Then run scandisk to see if it detects errors on the C: drive. If there are a significant number of errors, the you have the right course . . replace the drive.

If scandisk runs and repairs the errors and you still can't boot, then re-install Windows. There is probably a copy in the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS directory. Boot from the startup disk, then type:

C:<ENTER>
CD\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
SETUP<ENTER>

Need a Windows 98 startup disk, you can download one from HTTP://WWW.BOOTDISK.COM

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.