Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Do u guys noe of any good disk defragmenter around tat works wif my WINME Comp?? My comp specs are:Intel Petium3 Processor(1.0ghz),128mb ram,Intel 82815 Video Card,512 adsl..

Im also considering an ram upgrade... Will ram of two different manufacturers work on my comp?? My current ram is a infieon,pc133,single sided,164pins(128mb).. I wanna buy a kingston 256mb.. Saw it for 85 Singapore dollars..
Saving up for it...

In e mean time, U guys noe of any good Ram saver that automatically frees up ram??? im low on it...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Your Win ME has a very good onboard defragger. Do all you disk cleaning chores first, then restart in Safe Mode, then launch the ME defragger.

If you must have a third-party defragger, I like PerfectDisk. It's actually quite similar to the ME defragger.

For your ram upgrade, go to the Kingston site and plug into their memory configurator. If you have a manufactured computer (ie. Dell, Compaq, etc.) use the computer make and model. If you have a custom computer use the motherboard make and model in the configurator.

Yes, different brands of memory can work together in the same comp as long as they are compatible with that comp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Now i can buy e new ram in ease...

Does Perfect Disk 7.0 works wif WinME??? :4-dontkno I dun wanna risk it on my comp... My parents will kill me....

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Different brands MIGHT work, it depends on the individual characteristics of each stick. I've had success with mixed brands so it's worth a try if you're willing.

According to PerfectDisk's makers it's certified for 2000 and XP. It didn't say anything about Me and earlier. It does work with FAT disks so I'd imagine that it will run on Me just fine.

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are u sure that e mixed ram will work?? I dun wan my computer to die.... T_T
My parents will kill me if it dies!! im onli 13. Haven started earning money.... I will giv it a try... If tat 128mb stick dies, its still allrite as there's still e 256 stick.....

I did not use e onboard Me disk defragmentor as there is a problem wif it.... It gets stuck at 0%to 3%... Last time, it worked quickly.. i got my disk defragmented in less than 30mins.... E scan disk aso doesn't seems to work though.. It gets stucked too.... I ran them in normal mode lik in e past... Now, it doesn't work..... E scandisk onli works when e comp hanged n i restarted it by switching e power supply off n on..... Can u guys or gals help me pls???

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
When it powers on and starts loading the OS, press F8 until it gives you a boot menu. Select Safe Mode and try the defrag that way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay.. Thx! i will try it tat way... Is it a 100% confirm tat it will work??? i haf juz downloaded perfect disk. should i run tat or e onboard Me defragmentor fist? And in wat mode???

My current page file size is 2gig.. BIG!! Should i reduce it??? I often c tat is uses less than 100mb.. Sometimes more than 100mb but less than 200mb.... If i should reduce it, How much should i reduce it to? I know how to reduce it but dunno how much... Is it 400mb?? i forgot... I haf a 20gig harddrive....

.........................................................................................
Wish i had another 256 Kingston,164pins,pc133,single-sided ram.... :cry:

·
1,438 Posts
Pagefile, it is generally best to let windows manage it. If you choose to manage it manually, set it to a minimum size of 1.5 times your total RAM and max of 3 times you total RAM, but generally it is not recommended to exceed 1.5GB for max in dos based os such as windows me (You may wind up with out of memory errors in some applications if you exceed 512 MB of RAM or 1.5GB of virtual memory in DOS based windows versions).

The defrag utility in Windows ME is based on Norton Defrag (Speed disk) and is entirely adequate for your purposes. In any event, in window ME you should run your defrag (and prior to that scandisk) in safe mode to prevent it from being interrupted by other applications such as antivirus.

Normally , there is no problem mixing RAM from different manufacturers as long as it is the same speed (PC100, or PC133 for example) .
I do not recommend mixing speeds (even when one claims to be backwards compatible) . However you will not harm anything by installing the RAM. If it does not work, you will get an error beep and you just shut down and remove it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thx!

I haf chosen to let windows manage it.. Becoz of its warning sigh. lol.

Regarding e memory upgrade, i lik to thx u guys for e enlightment..... U guys are very good in terms of comp stuff..

Regarding e disk defragmenter, i haf tried to install disk perfect but it failed... It says tat disk defragmenter is onli for use on win 2000,nt and Xp and that setup will not contiune..... Disk Perfect is not for use on winme,98,95....

Thx a lot guys!

·
1,438 Posts
The main thing to remember about defrag utilities is that each one has a different technique (algorythm) for deciding what files go where.
One may sort alphabetically by file name, another by file size, another by file type, and another by frequency of use or even a combination of these. Regardless, they all basically work by assigning each file and its components a weight in the sorting order and the value assigned by any two utilities will almost certainly be different. So if you defrag with one utility any other one is likely to report your drive as heavily fragmented.
So best practice is to choose one utility and use it regularly. I normally recommend sticking with the one included in windows since it is entirely adequate and you got it included so there is nothing to buy.
Yes some are faster than it is and others are more informative, some (such as the one used by WindowsXP ) optimize by usage so that files you use a lot load faster than ones you access very rarely; but this is rarely an issue , what are a few seconds? Just get a cup of coffee and some cookies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.