Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just installed XP Pro on a fresh new hard disk, same as I've done before many times. The setup was working perfectly fine all day, but now after the self test it gives the following error:

DISK BOOT ERROR, REPLACE SYSTEM DISK..(etc)

I restart the machine again with the XP install disc in the CD drive, I'll get a "Press any key to boot from CD.." message. As expected If I hit a key, it boots from the XP CD and does the usual recovery console stuff.

But here's the weird part... if I wait for the CD prompt to time out, the system actually boots from the hard disk, into my fresh XP install! What!? :4-dontkno

For the record, my BIOS boot order is HDD0->CD->FLOPPY. I have tried the fail safe BIOS defaults. I have ran the recovery console and tried 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr'. No progress.

I should also add that my ntldr, ntdetect and boot.ini files are all fine. I tried replacing them from a good machine, but no effect.

Hardware is all fine, it works if I put in another HD and boot from that.

Ran out of options now. Can anyone suggest some more?

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links Dai.

Unfortunately it's not a boot sector virus, as the MBR and bootsector are fine.

The HD boots fine as long as the XP CD is in the drive. BIOS boot order is set to look for the HD first, but it always ignores it and tries to boot from CD, THEN boots from HD..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I got it kind of working.

I switched the HD from master to slave, and now it sees the drive first time and boots from it.

This is strange since the BIOS is set to boot from the primary master, and primary slave is disabled from the list!

I'd still like to get it working as master as I want to add a second drive, but I can live with it like this for now.

Weird stuff.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
the jumper settings must be wrong what brand is the other h/d,if it is a wd drive then you have to change the jumpers on it as they have different settings to most drives

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.