Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wireless network, which my PC connects to. The router has WPA-TSK (AEP) encryption. On my computer, it finds it very hard to find and to connect to the wireless and also the gateway for the internet. Also, it only lasts for about 10minutes maximum then it disconnects and its really difficult to find it again.

I have tried a static IP address, it is currently set to automatic. Still no luck.

Also, sometimes when it manages to connect to the network, it does not allow me access to the internet as the gateway is simply not there.

Any ideas on this one?

Many regards,
Chris

·
Global Moderator
51,604 Posts
Do you have two wireless client's running? If you have a 3rd party client, you need to disable either it or Windows WZC client. The two will fight and result in the symptoms you see.

·
Global Moderator
51,604 Posts
Sure you have the option to disable WZC, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Select the properties of Wireless Zero Configuration and disable it. Reboot.

·
Global Moderator
51,604 Posts
Let's reset the stack, see if that helps.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

·
Global Moderator
51,604 Posts
I don't understand the response.

Did you try the stack repair and it didnt' help, or do you think for some reason that it won't help and you didn't bother?

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was another reply before that, but it was removed as it contained advertising.

The stack repair has worked quite well but the problem still occurs from time to time occasionally. When I repair the connection, I get a DNS failed to Renew message, (or words to that effect). I have done ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /renew and the reset.

·
Global Moderator
51,604 Posts
We need to know the "exact" content of the error message. Searching on them is much easier that way. :grin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.