Tech Support Forum banner

Disc Drive issue after W7 installed and uninstalled on Vaio VGN-FE41E

1798 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  whitbyp
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FE41E. I asked a local computer business if they could install Windows 7, which they confirmed. I took it home once installed, and the res was awful, no discs would play or even register. Prior to installation all discs played and loaded fine. After checking myself I found on Sony's tech site that a driver update hasn't been created for my model yet for Windows 7. I took it back and he uninstalled and put Vista back on from the Backup copy. He was terribly nasty about it, but could do nothing else. He should have checked before installing a new os.

Vista function is now fine but I can only play DVD's. The disc will not recognise CD-ROM or Audio CD. I've tried various fixes (Mr Fixit), and it simply says the disc drive is empty. I tried the Vaio Hardware Diagnostics for CD-ROM and it says 'There is not disc inserted in the drive.' I have to then abort. I used a Lexmark cdrom which installed on another computer perfectly, so there is data to be read. If I enter a cdrom or audio cd just normally, the drive moves with the usual whizzes and pops and attempts 3 times to find the disc but stops. No message box appears.

My friend has exactly the same model, I've been going though System and Drivers to see if everything is the same. The only differences I can find are that she has Service Pack 1 (though I have run Windows Update fully as recommended by Microsoft on their Service Pack 1 download page), and her Disk Drive is FUJITSU MHV2120BH ATA Device. Mine says FUJITSU MHV2120BH PL ATA.

I would prefer not to go back to this guy because he treated me appallingly, though if all else fails I will have to as my computer now won't do what it did prior to his involvement. I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me instruction. I've not very technical (as the above most likely shows), but I will give any information required and I follow step-by-step well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Pj
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Hi -

You should have Vista SP2 installed. SP1 must be installed before SP2.

Check Windows Updates --> www.update.microsoft.com

Add'l info on Vista Service Packs --> http://jcgriff2.com/0x1/Vista_SP_Prepwork.html

I would also suggest that you contact Sony Support and inquire about purchasing replacement Vista recovery DVDs -

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-accessories.pl

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

See less See more
when vista was reinstalled, did you go to sony and download all of their vista drivers for your specific system? if not, you really need to do that before doing anything else.
Thanks jcgriff2 I really appreciate the info and links. I'll follow the advice and let you know how I get on.

Hi sobeit. I didn't reinstall Vista, the Guy at the computer shop did from the backup discs he created before installing Windows 7 (or so he said..I've since found out the Windows 7 he put on my computer was "Must be sold with a computer purchase...." Definitely never going near the place again). I'll go on the Sony site and do so first.

Thank you both. I really appreciate your time.
Pj
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.