Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an IBM Thinkpad 600E running Windows 95. I am trying to get a Linksys wifi PCMCIA card working on it, and am having a little problem. Any help would be appreciated...

My problem is in the Device Manager, under PCMCIA socket, I have two listings for "Texas Instruments PCI-1251 CardBus Controller". They both have the exclamation point next to them. I can go in, and update the driver, and get them both working, insert the Linksys card, update it's driver, and it works all fine and dandy, until I reboot.

After I reboot, the two Texas Instrument PCMCIA controllers have the exclamation point, and I can go through the whole process of updating the drivers and it will work...

My question is, how do I get it to stick? The Device Status (in the General Tab) gives the following error while the exclamation point is on the TI PCMCIA controllers:

This device has been disabled in the hardware. In order to use this device, you must re-enable the hardware. See your hardware documentation for details. (Code 29.)

Thanks for all help,
Mike

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Have you checked in the BIOS setup? They may be disabled there.

BTW Welcome to the TSF!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've yet to figure out how to get into the bios on this box... I'm working on it for a co-worker... but I guess I should head in there.

If it was disabled in the bios though, it shouldn't allow me to just install the drivers and be up and running, right? That doesn't make much sense, I think...

Thanks, I'll give it a try...

And thanks for the welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Have the same laptop...pulled it out of the garbage when the Hard drive and the memory went bad on the client....

Max out the memory 81 MB (I belive) then upgrade it to win98 and make sure the NIC doesnt have card bus mastering...system to OLD to support it!!Lynksys nic works fine!!

as for entering the BIOS i belive you have to hold the SHIFT+F1 onboot up (as your powering it on) or Shift +Delete or a combonation of thoes...Ill check tonight and post

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I think it is just F1 to get into the bios. Also, IBM has a OS based utility you can use to make changes to the bios. If it is not installed, you can go HERE to download it from IBM. You may need to use this utility if you cannot make the changes in the bios directly.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gone through the PS2.exe util, though I can't see where it would be set... It just seems odd to me that if it would be disabled in the bios how I could set it up after installing the drivers again... The PCIIRQ is set to 11, and that's interesting... I'm wondering if something else isn't on 11, maybe it's a conflict and throwing a wrong error...

Still working on it... thanks for all the help though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.