Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help my aunt and her family upgrade their Dell Dimension 2350 that has recently outlived its warranty, and they really want a better GFX card. The stock mobo comes with integrated audio, video, and NIC, but the BIOS only allows for disabling the audio and NIC. There are ZERO provisions in the BIOS for disabling the onboard video, and from what I can tell from looking through a large number of other forums, the only way to make this mobo use the PCI slots to replace any onboard device [mobo has no AGP] is to disable that device.

After doing several hours of research over the web, I have learned that the original BIOS Revision, A00, is out of date, and that the only way to make a new video card work is to flash the BIOS to at least rev.A01, so that the onboard video option will become available.

Okay, easy enough. The problem is that the Dell support site gives instructions on how to flash to A01, but it does not work [Dell instructions here]. The instructions had me download an executable that contained a floppy image. The only options in the tiny program are to insert a formatted disk and hit Continue to right the image to the disk, or to cancel.

I hit Continue, the program goes through its process, and then it tells me it's finished and to restart in order to boot from the disk. After doing so the flashing program appears to boot up correctly as I'm forced into DOS. The instructions tell me to wait until the DOS program informs me that the upgrade was successful, and then to press any key to reboot. This message never appears and I am immediately kicked out to an A: prompt awaiting instruction, with nothing changing whatsoever. When I ctrl+alt+del to reboot, the Dell screen still says rev.A00 and so does the BIOS menu itself.

I'm at a loss at the moment since I have spent HOURS researching how to make this work and then the only method that has worked for everyone else won't for me. I have a feeling that the flashBIOS program I downloaded is either broken, or there is a problem with the diskette. I've read that there is a way to flash it from within XP but I have not been able to find any solid instructions on how to do that.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Unfortunately I can't provide all the system's exact specs, but I do know this much:

- stock Dell Dimension 2350, no upgrades whatsoever
- Pentium M, 512 RAM [I would love to give more info on the mobo but I cannot find anything anywhere that tells me the manufacturer]
- XP Home

P

·
0 Posts
I would think there is something wrong with the floppy disk or drive. I remember using the spsific bios file recently. OK i can't say Dell is a good company when it is about customer service but i dont think they are that bad to keep a bad bios update file on their site.

I dont recommend doing a bios update via windows xp. Suitable and traditional place is the dos. Retry with a different floppy disk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.