Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I've been trying to uninstall my built-in laptop keyboard and use an external one instead. I know what to do however, I encountered many problems on the way. I used Device Manager to uninstall it. I was asked to restart my computer to complete the process but when I do, it automatically reinstalls in back. I tried to change the driver to one that the system will not recognize but again, I restart my laptop and it works perfectly. Now, I tried to disable that through Group Policy that I accessed through Run > gpedit.msc. Here, I went to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. Here, according to tutorials I found, I was supposed to find "Device Installation" that i can use to prevent the automatic installation of the driver. Any clue why? Or any other ways to disable a built-in laptop keyboard?

·
Premium Member
19,848 Posts
why are you uninstalling it. You can use an external keyboard without disabling. any way, check your fn keys they might be a way to disable the keyboard using them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why are you uninstalling it. You can use an external keyboard without disabling. any way, check your fn keys they might be a way to disable the keyboard using them.
I want to place the external one on top on my laptop since i'd be more comfortable that way. when I type it's not much of a problem but when it comes to videogames, keeping it the way I have it right now is painful.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,834 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, yesterday I shared a thread on how I wanted to disable my built-in in keyboard to place my external one on top of it. Now, it did not work when I tried using different methods. Somehow, when I opened my laptop in the morning, the keyboard was disabled. Here comes the problem though, both keyboards, the built-in one and the external one don't work. There is some message that Im receiving that says "this installation is forbidden by system policy. contact your system administrator". What should I do?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,588 Posts
Post #6 merged into other thread as problem may have like solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts