Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been trying for months to get a 'real' answer to the question as to wether or not i can delete, not rename, the wmi/wbem stuff in my windows directory. seems everybody gives the same lame blather that microsnot does. let me ask nicely: can i delete wmi/wbem safely from my computer...i am a solo user with 2 machines and a router, thats all, no enterprize crap here, just me surfin, newsgroup readin, and emailin. i just hate to have crap on my computer that doesnt belong there! thanks for hearin my rant and answers you may offer. tkz for some real english replies, aloha

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
I don't have a clue but why don't you just make an image of your drive for back up purposes, delete the file you don't want then boot again and see if the PC plays properly. If it doesn't recover your old drive from the image and proceed as before. If your drive is partitioned then that makes it easier since you won't have to backup the whole drive just the partition.
By making the image and keeping on a second drive you'll be back up an working with only a short "break".
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have acronis trye image

easier still is a format, which i just did thursday so i have current stuff, except this post. i dont know how to use acronis and have even written to the vendor and they cant answer my questions, so that option is out. i was hoping that somebody has a real knowlegable answer and not s.w.a.g. btw i spent time in crete(hania) and it is one of the nicest places on earth,!!! tkz anyway

·
Registered
161 Posts
My 'real' answer would be a simple 'No'! - but can I ask why your interest is in just wmi/wbem?

I ask cos if you're 'offended' by wmi, what about the other 42 gazillion files that arn't used by the average user?:smile:

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
easier still is a format, which i just did thursday so i have current stuff, except this post. i dont know how to use acronis and have even written to the vendor and they cant answer my questions, so that option is out. i was hoping that somebody has a real knowlegable answer and not s.w.a.g. btw i spent time in crete(hania) and it is one of the nicest places on earth,!!! tkz anyway

I seem to remember that was a"LITE" version of windows too, whic only installed the really necessary files to allow your PC to work.

Since when was a format easier than an image? a Format requires everything gets installed again. I usually allow a weekend to do this and HOPE that I have finished before I am back to work on the monday!!:grin:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wmi rant cont'd

hey stirling, i have raised hell about such things as zerox and winhelp tours, and movie maker,msn gaming zone etc etc etc ad nauseum. i jusr decided to pick on wmi this week. i dont want that type of crap on my machine and wondered if anybody was smart enough to get rid of it.
btw done_fishin, a format used to take me 2½ days, thursday i took 4 hrs from starting a zerofill format to being fully back with ALL programs and only had to reinstall 4 proggies, thats all, its a myth that ya gotta reinstall everything, just bring em in and when ya click to use em they write an entry in the registry, so a 4 hour format is the fastest, most through way i know to redo everything. but to all, it sounds like nobody knows how to get rid of wmi/wbem :-(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gamah

let me ask you a question like the one you asked me. if me and many friends came to your front yard and capmed out, parking our cars all up n down the street, partying all night, putting our rubbish on your porch, then i will ask you your own question "then why the hell would you want to delete them?" go play some more games and dont atempt anymore intelligence fakes, cause you failed miserably. once again i ask DOES ANYBODY HERE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THAT WMI/WBEM GARBAGE? plz dont talk about everything else, try to stay on topic. your kokua is appreciated

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you did that i'd shoot you in the face, but your example was a little extreme.

it'd be more like if i was trying to sleep and you were partying across the street.

it'd be annoying, but i'd deal with it.

and still i can't fathom why you want to get rid of these files unless your HD is that small? (2gb?)

and because my last post was aparantally off topic, your short answer is yes, you can delete them. and windows will still function, though i think upon startup it might rebuild them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.