Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a 1987 Toyota Camry DX with a automatic transmission have dirty fluid with floating debris(saw on dipstick). OK, Now you say well He needs to change the fluid Duh?? Yes I see that it needs changing, but the problem is I do not know how often the previous owner changed the fluid.
Further, I do not know if the transmission is on its way out or not. If the trans needs a rebuild or just a fluid and filter change is also an unknown. I do know that in aging transmissions with thick dirty fluid that is changed to clean thin fluid may cause problems-slipping and sudden engagements. The trans shop that I talked to said also that indicators (debris and shifting problems) of trouble are here now and a simple fluid change will not cure the problems.
My next concern is the age of the car and whether to invest money in a 20 year old car(700-1800?) Putting that much money in a car that is worth what? 500-1000 (US dollars). For the record I do not know how much its worth, yet. On the other hand I really like this car. It is a popular car with the public and I see a lot of them running around my city.
Then the question of whether to buy a newer car comes up as opposed to fixing up the old bucket of bolts(LOL). Well for one newer cars cost more money to own and operate what with the cost of insurance and monthly payments for a car that the person does not own. The bank owns it and can take it back anytime if payments are not made..to the point-I can not afford a newer car. I may be at the end of the road for this car and selling it may be the prudent thing to do? yes? or roll the dice and invest a little more in a good performing car? yes? Any input will be welcome Thank you. Whew that was a mouthful:sleep: :sleep: Hope I didn't put anyone to sleep.

G

·
Toyota's camry's are reliable and well built cars, I would say it would be worth having it fixed but not for more than about $500 which i dont know if any places around your area will do it for that musch, it sounds like there is a break in your tranny somewhere and needs to be replaced

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
that's a sweet little car you have there, it's too bad the fluid is so cooked.

sadly, if you put that thing in a trans shop, with debris in the fluid, they are going to want to rebuild it.

i can assure you this will cost at least 1200$, unless you have friends who are able to do it.

typically, it's 12-1800$ around here to get a rebuild done, 5 year warranty and all.

now, the car might not actually be worth it, so one thing i'd try to do, it look for a used transmission, from a reputable wrecker. (one that isn't going to change the fluid before you buy it) you should expect to pay anywhere up to 600$ for a used trans in good condition, sometimes as low as 200$.

·
Registered
28 Posts
toyota camry 87

hi i think you should drain the transmission fluid change the filter clean the lid of the transmission clean the magnets buy a new ttransmission gasket, or go to a 15 minute oil change shop and pay 80 dollars for a transmission flush, that what i do with old cars

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I really want to thank you guys for all your input and more importantly for saving me potetially 1000-2000.00 dollars ( if I would have took it to the trans shop). I think people should use trans shops for convenience if they have the money, but in my case I am already in debt up to my ears now.
And the thought of pouring more money into a car with low resale value just does not make sense unless I will keep it for another 5-10 years. :rolleyes:
So I guess that means I will be either going with the 80.00 trans flush at Jiffy Lube or the like or [email protected] the pan and replace the filter and gasket. I like the latter cuz I know the dirt and debris will be removed.:wink:
Thanks again and now if I could only get some help on my other post in the hard drive section?:4-dontkno I may have just solved it on my own thanks
(video adapter driver was outdated)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.