Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today after downloading some updates on Windows Update for XP I found that I got an error message at the bottom right of the screen with a cd drive and an x through it saying "DirectCD, No Supported Drive." I think I might have downloaded a cd drive not compatible with my cd burner because now I can't burn CD's. I have no idea how to revert to a past version of the cd drive, or if there is another problem that I need to fix. Can anyone help me with this problem? I appreciate it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The following steps are intended to un-DO whatever WindowsXP did during the update.

Before performing these steps, I recommend you going to the website of your CD-Rx
manufacturer and download the latest drivers from THERE instead from the WinUpdate site.
The manufacturer may have the latest drivers that MS is missing.

anyway... try this:

Right click "my computer" > manage
Click device manager on the left
On the right pane, right click the CD-ROM unit that's having the problem.
Click properties > driver tab > click "Roll Back Driver"

hope that helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That helped a lot, that is being able to see the driver having the problem. The problem is when I said "roll back driver" it told me there was no driver to go back to, since apparently I hadn't installed a new one. So, the obvious thing is to listen to you and go get the new driver updates from the website. Except, I know this probably sounds very stupid, I really don't know who manufactured my driver. It says I got it from Microsoft on information, and the date of the driver is July 1st 2001. But how do I find the next upgrade to it on the Microsoft website? I have no idea. Can anyone help me do this? Or tell me how to go about it? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
What brand is the CD-Rx unit?
if it's creative labs, go to creative.com, and so on...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Also, since the problem seems to be with DirectCD,
try to go to www.roxio.com and download the latest
update for DirectCD.

IMPORTANT:
IT IS recommended that you uninstall the current version of DirectCD that you have,
Reboot, and then install the new one.

I ran through that kind of problems myself.
WinXP and DirectCD don’t make good partners.
Is this a new machine? If so, and your drive came with the machine, Roxio is supposed
to give you tech support on the phone, since bounded drives/drivers should be supported by
it's manufacturers

let me know your progress..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the help man. I couldn't get the new driver to even install because everytime I unistalled the driver and rebooted it automatically reinstalled the driver. However, after rebooting five times, the error was for some reason fixed. So, I'm not totally sure what the problem was, but now it's fixed, thanks a lot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I find System Restore will fix these problems better than Roll Back driver in most cases because not only the driver has been changed, but the registry too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi x5dr,
Thanks for your comment.

I personally consider system restore a VERY "last resource" option.
I keep finding more and more posts every day about system restore
fixing some conflicts, but also bringing up new ones every time it’s used.

Use System restore w/ caution, don’t be so quick about using it.
Try other things first, usually the easiest ones ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.