Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimension E310 that needs a Windows reload. I've downloaded the Intel SATA driver from support.dell.com and extracted it to floppy. F6 is pressed at the appropriate time to allow me to specify an alternate controller during Setup. However, Windows Setup doesn't recognize the created disk as a valid OEM controller driver disk. Specifically, Setup just keeps prompting me to insert the disk containing the driver software.

I'm using a USB floppy drive in the process, and the PC's BIOS is configured to see it (in fact, the PC tries to boot from the floppy drive if given the chance).

I'm attempting to use this driver, but upon double-checking just now I don't think it's the right one.

Link to all downloads for this PC

Ideas?

·
Registered
655 Posts
yes it would solve it, same with the crap sata drive im using on a fujitsu laptop.
erm i would say use that one, as its straight from the DellEnds..i have a thing againt dells.

Stick to that, integrate the inf and .xxx files..whatever it extracts to with nLite :) should see it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you accomplish the nlite fix? I am having a similar problem. I succesfully installed the driver off of the floppy and Windows XP fully installed, however when i took out the install disk and rebooted it says that it can not find the OS/Hard Drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if it can't find windows or your driver/drivers,then it's on another partition of your drive,not C. The easiest thing instead of building these cd;s is to go to Dell.Com, enter tag ,and type pc they will give you all the necessary drivers ,they even tell you if they are relevent or not. Keep it simple,get a cd go to Support.Dell.Com, type in tag or service tag on front of case of pc ,the type,then all your drivers pop up.Download them all save to desktop make a folder for Dell Drivers ,and burn it.Now for the Windows Dban and make sure you have the right drive(also no floppies in with cd) just a lil something hopes it helps you out

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/

or

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...d-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.