Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with 4 slots, each slot a max of 1 gig. I have 2 1/2-gig chips in it now. It calls for a pc3200 400 mhz ddr sdram.
I tried to use a pc3200U chip and it didn't work. Should it? Also I asked Dell and they said you don't have to populate with pairs of chips. Can I populate with any combination of size, that is having a 1/2 gig chip next to a 256 MB chip?
Thanks.

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
Mixing RAM (brand or spec) will usually cause problems. What brands and configurations of RAM are you using? Filling all the RAM slots on a Mobo can also cause issues. You will see very little, if any, increase in performance with more than 2 1/2 GB epically if your using XP.
Best solution is a matched pair of 2 X1 GB or 2 X 2GB sticks. PC2700 is the standard RAM for your PC.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tyree, but I believe (based on Dell support and other specs) that the 4600 calls for pc3200 400 mhz ram. I have already 2 1/2 gig (= 1 Gig) in 2 slots. They are off-brand ram and has worked fine. I tried to put 2 additional 256 MB sims (the PC3200U) in the available 2 other slots but had problems. The PC3200U is what is called an unbuffered sim but they all won't work together. That's why I asked.:smile:

· Emeritus
51,728 Posts
The Mobo will accept PC3200, according to the owner's manual, but mixing RAM has it's issues. Filling all the RAM slots on a Mobo can has it's issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.