Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Windows XP and have never had this problem. When I shut down, the monitor goes off and the green light by the on/off button goes off, but the small yellow light below that button and green light by the DVD rom stay on. I shut those down manually on the on/off button but a "fan noise" exists so I have to unplug the computer ompletely.

Booting up is more difficult if you can believe it. I push in the on/off button..nothing happens. After many attempts of plugging it in and unplugging it from the surge outlet and pushing the on/off button, it finally boots up. I've tried a different wall plug but that didn't solve the problem.

I've not had any experience with this type of computer problem so I'm wondering if there is something very wrong with my 3 year old computer.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will make an effort to get one this afternoon and see if that resolves the problem. I'll inform you as to what transpires. Thank you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased a high performance computer grade surge protector, checked all the connections, plugged computer directly into wall socket, and I'm still having the same problems. When I finally get it all shut down, there is still a fan running in the back of the computer so I have to pull out the plug to get it to shut off. Woe is me :-(

·
Registered
428 Posts
I purchased a high performance computer grade surge protector, checked all the connections, plugged computer directly into wall socket, and I'm still having the same problems. When I finally get it all shut down, there is still a fan running in the back of the computer so I have to pull out the plug to get it to shut off. Woe is me :-(
But did you find another PSU yet?
The Power Supply Unit is located inside the computer itself. I'm not refering to the surge protector or wall outlet

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the quick response. I've never done any computer repair such as putting in a PSU so after getting more info off the Internet (as to the extent of the repair) I called a computer repair service nearby. They charge $22.50 for the labor and the unit is anywhere from $30.00-$40.00. He said this problem is not uncommon. Do you have an opinion on this and shall I keep you informed on the result?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, $22.50 really not all that bad for computer labor (well, it is, but it isn't ;))
Its actually pretty easy to do
Also, if that doesn't solve the problem, then it was a pricey troubleshooting step

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for your quick reply. Hopefully, the PSU is the problem and as a novice in computer repair, I am willing to pay the $22.50. Actually, I have no other route to take. I will let you know how this plays out tomorrow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
problem not completely resolved

I had a new PSU put in yesterday. The tech said the old one was shot. The computer starts up ok but I still have to unplug it to get it to shut down completely. I called him and he thinks it is a software issue. There is an $85charge for them to fix that so I'm wondering if there is a way to fix that with your guidance. When I shut the computer down a box comes up on the screen saying "ccApp ending program". This started several days ago along with everything else. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That is a part of Symantec Antivirus, and quite often hangs up at shutdown.
See if this helps
Maybe you should look in the Hijack This forum and follow the steps for posting a log. Make sure you reference this thread if you do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Symantec link did not solve that ccApp problem. I did install Kodak EasyShare Camera software just before all this began, but I have since uninstalled it. I also downloaded Windows Explorer 7 before all this started.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not certified to read logs here, so wait until they tell you what to do.
It looks like you have alot of spyware protection running at the same time, and some of it may conflict. Wait until someone tells you what to do. In the mean time, I would follow the advice in the link that I gave you earlier, reboot, then see if that helps with the ccapp.exe hanging up. It might help if you edit your HJT post to include a link to this thread

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It looks like I finally got rid of that ccApp problem. Nothing else has changed. Shall I keep that box unchecked in the Norton AntiVirus program?

·
Registered
428 Posts
It looks like I finally got rid of that ccApp problem. Nothing else has changed. Shall I keep that box unchecked in the Norton AntiVirus program?
The floppy drive box? Oh definitely. Do you even have a floppy drive?

For clarification, let us know exactly what is still happening

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Darn, the "ending program ccApp" showed up again when I shut my computer down. As for what is happening, when I hit the "turn off" button, the monitor shuts down (goes dark), the green light on the tower button goes off but it doesn't shut down completely. The small yellow light stays on and also, a small green light stays on, on the black strip under the DVD Rom. When I push on the button on the tower again, it boots up and Windows opens up.
In order to shut the computer completely off, I still have to unplug it or turn off my power strip. Thanks for your help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.