Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just upgraded my pc, its p4 2.9 with a gig of ram, antec 450 psu ,ati x800xl.

I put in a gig of kingston pc3200 400mhz ram and I have another 512 samsung ram left. This was the original ram that came with the machine, could I put this in as well or wont they be compatible?

Thanks for any replies and advice.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You get the best results with memory of the same part numbers from the same manufacturer.

It also depends on the motherboard, and if it accepts different modules. If the samsung is the same size, frequency and layout of your new stuff, you MIGHT be ok, but you're better off using the same type from the same company.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
It will also depend on wheather or not your mobo supports dual channel memory...if it does then stick to the 2X512 you currently have in there...if you add a third memory module to a dual channel set up you will loose performance ! If, your mobo does not support dual channel, then you should be able to add the third memory module....but compatability issues may arrise like Rashiki said. 1 Gb of ram is plenty of memory for all but the most demanding games/video-photo editing and suits most people well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys, I'll stick to the 2 that I have already, the mobo is an intel 915g and has dual support. The ram modules are a different frequency anyway.
Cheers for all your help,talk to you later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.