Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have two computers at my apartment getting two VERY different speeds from my wireless connection. I'm thinking it might be the hardware im using, but I want some expert opinions before I go out and buy anything else.

Laptop:
HP Compaq 8710w
Windows 7 32 bit
Internal - Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Getting 5 bars of connection and 72.00 Mbps

Desktop
Custom Build - i7 870
Windows 7 64 bit
Belkin Basic Wireless N USB Adapter

Getting 5 bars of connection and 14.5 -21 Mbps

Both computers on the same desk when tests were run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thats what I was thinking. I used it with my last network and build because I didnt have an extra slot for a network card.
Our router is the Time-Warner supplied
SMC Networks Barrage

Can you recommend a good N card for around $30-40?
Networking is my weakest point in computer knowledge, and I don't really know what to look for besides N, and WPA2 secure.

I was thinking of grabbing this one, but I don't know if PCI or PCIe is better or anything...
Newegg.com - ASUS PCE-N13 IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WI-Fi alliance WPA, WPA2

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
PCI-e is faster but you need to make sure your mainboard has a pci-e slot for it to go in.

I try to buy matching brands for example a netgear dual band router I will get a netgear dual band usb stick.

Since the intel is working so well you might see what is available in that brand/type.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.