Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spouse who is my hardware guy is hospitalized and I don't want to upset him with this little piece of news. I rec'd my TPM 2.0 module for my MSI motherboard. I found where the module is located on the schematic. It slid right into place. I was proud, except when I went to turn on the PC.Its entirely dead. My monitor comes on so that's working. What ever I did is the issue because the PC was working last night. I know he'd know what to do, but I can;t do that to him and ask him what I should try next. I took the module out, but the darn thing still is totally dead. It's the correct module because I called MSI before I bought it. I am not good with hardware at all. Did I damage my PC? I touched nothing but the module, by the way.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,854 Posts
If you were not wearing an anti-static device (anti-static wrist strap) there is the possibility of an accidental electrostatic discharge (static electricity).

There is also the possibility of simply knocking something loose somewhere. What I recommend is waiting for someone familiar with working inside of computers to take a look and see if they can help locate the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering. He just rebuilt my PC with new MB, CPU & memory and this is how I tried to help. I just hope I didn't do too much damage. No strap. I touched the chassis and the module only. I'll need to call for some assistance. I'm not good with hardware. All the more reason I should have not tried to get involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calling from his hospital bed, he said he didn't know he was wed to such a computer genius. Got yelled at for not at least switching off the power switch on the back of the tower. The PC was off, but not switched off from power altogether. He had me remove the TPM module from the motherboard. Told me which cables and wires to check. Turn the power switch at the back of the tower on, boot up the PC and voila, back in business!!!Yeah. I guess I lucked out with this little venture. I'm wondering if I destroyed the TPM with this exercise. My instructions are never, never play Linus again:)

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
My instructions are never, never play Linus again:)
Given your experience, I'd say that's good advice. :D Glad to hear you didn't fry anything.

Reactions: SpywareDr
1 - 7 of 7 Posts