Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the girls at the office all love you guys i have the account so i get to ask all the questions :heartlove any way here we go again friend number two has a computer that is a couple years old and is need of a dial up modem since she doesnt have high speed or cable in her area whoever when i go into the modem and internet connection that was existing on the computer (bought second hand by the way) it comes up with no modem anywhere but i find " communications cable between two computers) where the make and model of the modem should be an no way of removing it. Now having been an internet tech for MSN I figured I would be able to figure out that one but not so much the external modem is on the way. She is running win 2k not currently on a network she has 256 ram and a 40 gig drive. she would love you forever if you could figure that one out and let me know how to get rid of it since her ISP tech cant get it out either. :laugh:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
sveltewings said:
whoever when i go into the modem and internet connection that was existing on the computer (bought second hand by the way) it comes up with no modem anywhere but i find " communications cable between two computers) where the make and model of the modem should be an no way of removing it. she would love you forever if you could figure that one out and let me know how to get rid of it since her ISP tech cant get it out either. :laugh:
Hi,

Have you taken a look at going into Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and deleting everything under the modem area in there? Also, if you want the thing to recognize the modem, place it in the PCI #3 slot, (third one down from the AGP slot), then boot up, let it find the modem and load drivers and then try to update the drivers for this particular modem.

If I have not understood what you are saying, then forgive. I just had a little trouble following the explanation to know exactly what you had done or needed done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey

well the problem is that we are getting "communication cable between two computers" as the modem in the connection settings, and there isnt a modem anywhere to be found so i would remove something if there was something there and we have been thru the control panel and into the hardware manager there simply isnt anything there to remove yet it will not remove the exisiting connection that says "communication cable between two computers". What i would like to know is how to get rid of something you dont have. If there is a modem installed and set up will I then be able to take out the "existing connection" that doesnt exist?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Wow, that is a new one on me and I have been at this for a while. Keep searching:

1. Go to Start, My computer, My Network Places, View Network connection and see if it is there. Of course if it is, then right click and get rid of it via disabling or deleting.

2. Go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, View, Resoures by connection, Action, Scan for hardware changes, ...see if you can find it there.

3. Go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, View, Devices by Connection....see if it is hiding in there. If so, get rid of it.

4. Go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, View, Resources by type, ....look for it there.

5. Go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, View, Resoureces by Type, Interrupt request.....see if it is hiding in there.

Also, if you do have a modem in the PCI slot, then change the slot and see if it appears.

Let me know what you find and I will keep searching.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tumbleweed

Thanks for the suggestions the only one so far i havent tried was the number five suggestion really odd used to work as a net tech for msn with dial up and never ever saw that either so thanks for the help and will kee you updated as to what happens with it.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
go to start | settings | control panel | then click the phone & modems options icon. The dialogue box will have three tabs along the top (dialing rules, modems, advanced). i'll let you have two free guesses which tab it's under.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stu

Alright stu hun like i said before been there done that but when you find the offending operation you cannot get any of the options to light up that will allow for removal so thats a no go trust me i know i have been dealing with it at every angle for a month. Tumbleweed suggestion number five didnt work so I finally quit and stripped and reinstalled everything and it took it out so that was the last straw we were both annoyed but thank you ever so much for your help. :wave: :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.