Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok I'll explain the setup first:

Belkin N-Wireless router,
connected to Vista PC, Ipod Touch, Brother 2170W network printer and Old XP Laptop with XP-SP3.
printer is connected wirelessly, PC is connected wired but can also go wireless, Ipod touch is connected wirelessly

The problem is on the XP Laptop. Basically in order to get the laptop to connect u need to reset the router whilst the laptop is already powered up. If the laptop powers up after the router it seems to take almost 3-4 minutes to get the Network address from the router and looks like everything is ok - on closer inspection however the laptop has a totally crazy IP which seems random every time and the default gateway is blank so obviously it is not connected to the router although it says it is - obviously the internet and all network functions fail. as soon as you reset the router however it works perfectly untill u restart the lappy.

It's not a hardware issue I'm sure of it as all of the other devices can connect to the router wired and wirelessly and I have also ruled out the laptop hardware as the same problem persists with the wired connection as with the wireless one.

I know my way around networks in a general sense and cannot work out what the heck is going on here lol. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :D

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
First off, try the laptop on another wireless network and see if that works without issue.

Next, here are some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
  5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, try the laptop on another wireless network and see if that works without issue.

Next, here are some things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
  5. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

None of the above worked...laptop works fine on an older router so I'm thinking it may just be that the networking on the lappy has had it's day perhapse :S I've never seen this happen before though lol :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.