Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to delegate the task of DHCP to the Windows 2003 Server rather than the routers. I have two wireless routers using only 1 DHCP server (connected by cross).

How can I configure the DHCP server to be used as the primary source for DHCP rather than the routers? I am guessing something will have to be configured in the router as well as the Windows Server.

When I attempted the configuration above by the DHCP wizard it worked as far as distrubuting the IP address, but failed to allow the computer online.

Any ideas?

·
Citizen of the world
51,137 Posts
You need the default gateway and DNS server addresses configured to still point to the router. That is set in the server's DHCP server configuration.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DNS is required to support Active Directory. Can I still point DNS to the Domain Controller?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scratch that last post.

DNS is pointing to the DC.

For some reason the settings that have been configured on the Windows Server for DHCP have only been applied to some machines, I don't know if it is just a coincidence that all the machines that have received the updates DHCP server are hard wired.

What tells the client computer to go to the server instead of router for DHCP? Do I need to configure something in the router?

BTW the machines that have the server for DHCP are able to connect to the internet.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Is there a reson you still have the DHCP enabled on the routers? If not then disable DHCP on the routers and let the server issue the IP Addresses. Any computer that currectly has an address assigned by a router will go back to that router to request the same address.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything is working now, machines are configured to the Windows Server for DNS/WINS/DHCP.

However on a couple of machines, when they are pinged they still display an old IP address on a completely different subnet. I looked in the logs of the WINS server and it has registred the correct IP address. Any idead on why it will not find the correct IP address/NETBIOS name?

BTW the ping command comes back with 4 timeouts, on other machines IP is correct and I do get 4 replies.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are no client firewalls, not even Windows Firewall. The Windows Server is the only DHCP Server on the network.

The computers that are having this "old IP" problem are recieving an address from the DHCP server (Windows) correctly. Maybe I just need to wait a couple of days for it to register in the server correctly. Though from the server side it does have the correct IP Address.

Any thing else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ping results from another computer on the network/domain. *Note the IP ADDRESS.

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\enewhous>ping ericaxp
Pinging ericaxp.newhouse.local [192.168.15.104] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 192.168.15.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Ping results from this machine to itself (ERICAXP to ERICAXP). The IP displayed here is the actual address.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Erica>ping ericaxp

Pinging ERICAXP.newhouse.local [10.200.50.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.200.50.104: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.200.50.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms