Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
This is my first post, so I hope you bear with me. I see you guys have a very nice forum here, and look forward to looking for answers to alot of my questions. But right now I have a problem, that I cannot seem to figure out. I just bought a new HP PC with Win XP home edition. It has an AMD Athlon 2800 + XP processor, 512 mb, and 80 gb HD. Now right off the bat, when I installed it, and it tried to install the PC friendly software for DVD movies (that comes with the PC) it gave me and error just before it finished installing. Gave me one of those "Send Error Report" that gives you the option to send to microsoft. But then when I closed the program, and popped in a DVD movie, it played well. So I moved on, but when I installed software for my Palm, and tried to do a hotsync, the palm did not connect with the desktop software. I kept getting a message on my palm that "device cannot contact your desktop" So I checked the Com Port 1, (where I had connected the cradle to) And everything looked normal (to my knowledge). I tried re-adjusting the cable, made sure it was connected correctly, and changed the com port from 1 to 2, 3, & 4 and none of them would detect my palm. (I was able to do hotsync on my old pc-Win 98) So I took my digital camera, and connected it to the same serial port, and installed all the software, and it did not detect it either. So I un-installed the com port 1, and re-installed it to see if there was a driver problem, and sitll it did not detect anything I connected to that serial port. So then, I connected a mouse from my other PC, that has a usb connection, and my new PC did not detect it either. I re-booted the pc, and it still did not detect it. So I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my PC overall??? Could it be that it is faulty, or damaged??? Or am I overlooking something very simple??? Can someone please shed some light??? Will appreciate your imputs, and suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished following the instructions on that page, and the plug & play settings were already on "automatic". So I guess that's not the problem, but thanks anyway.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, just finished taling to HP support, and they advised me to take the thing back to Wal-Mart and exchange it, since I've had it less than 15 days. They also could not figure out the problem, and just assumed it was a hardware or com port problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.