Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, recently I found out that my graphics driver (SiS M760GX) needs some updates, so I went to download the drivers but at the installation it would give me an error saying that the system couldn't detect the device (my graphics card?) at the start.

Went to check out device manager to see if everything was alright, but unfortunately, it was empty/blank. I think that might be the problem for that error in the installation.

I went then, to find some solutions. Tried to edit the registry (according to a guide in Microsoft forums by Jason or whatever) by changing permissions in Enum but it gives me an error everytime I try to check "Replace permissions..." saying it couldn't set security in the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys. Also tried to see if Plug and Play in services.msc was set to Automatic, and it was.

I also find strange that when I connect a device (like a usb flash drive), it doesnt popup that a new hardrive has been connected and doesnt show that icon in the task bar which can be used to remove the hardware safely.

Any help with this? Would really appreciate. :smile:

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
Backup your registry before attempting.

You have to gain permissions to change that item by right click on the left size column in the subfolder click permissions then edit the permissions so you have access to them. But this is risky backup your registry before changing anything also remember what you change by writing it down before changing it.

·
Registered
40,888 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In Add Remove Programs uninstall any graphics/video driver software you installed. Then reboot. Windows should load the default VGA driver.
What is the make and model # of your video card? If using the onboard VGA instead of a card, what is the make and model# of your computer? You can go to the manufacturers support/download drivers site and type in your service tag# or your make and model# and download the Display adapter driver for that computer.
The Device Manager not populating however is a good sign of you being infected. If you continue to have problems, please click on the link Virus Help in my signature and post there for more help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I uninstalled all the graphic drivers I had and tried to install it fresh again, but unfortunately, that error (device is not detected) still appears.

Sis's (manufacturer) website doesn't have the link directing to the download of the drivers for my graphic card anymore, so I had to use a driver downloader program called driver genious professional that I borrowed from a friend of mine (it's genuine) that downloaded the drivers. I also downloaded some from other websites to see if the problem was only on the one that I downloaded from driver genious, but no, it also happened on the others, so the problem might not be from the installer.

I did a virus scan recently in ESET NOD32 and didn't found any virus. Also checked for any suspicious applications in Local Settings folder, but none found.

I really think it is not a virus, but most likely something corrupt.
I had updated my Windows XP from SP2 to SP3 like 3 months ago, certainly must be that what it caused to "corrupt" device manager. I never really had the need to open the device manager in that period of time, so I didn't notice it. I checked solutions for that issue and downloaded an application from Microsoft that apparently didn't fix.

Looking for more solutions, would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.