Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know some good development tools for a website I am working on? I just want a simple yet functional site, and some decent (and free) tools to work on them. The best thing I found so far was Word 97, but it didn't have the simplicity I needed for something I want to do. However, on my new box, I have WordPerfect (which web development seems to be about the only thing it isn't really capable of!). Know of any good tools to use?

·
Registered
69 Posts
notepad ;)

i use textpad and arachnophilia (straight text editors)...if you are looking for WYSIWYG editors i hear the Dreamweaver by Macromedia is pretty good, ive never touched it myself tho so i can't vouch for it personally....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dreamweaver is a leading WYSIWIG web developer, but it is also pricey.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can go for fireworks as well, its great, and actually pretty user friendly........you can download the free Trial version from the macromedia site, and try it out, that'll let ya decide......

Why not try Front Page? Its good for those who don't want tot get into too much html coding details, etc....

There are literally tons of software available out there, it just depends on what you want.....

If you want free software, I'll tell ya this now, it won't be as effective as all the other products....

To make it easier on you, click on the following link, and you can browse different types of web development software, and for some, they're freeware, and others they're trial, so just look around the page.

List of Web Development Software

Hope this helps

DTM

·
Registered
69 Posts
a friend of mine today told me Trellix was good, i cant vouch for that one personally either though....

if you have the time/desire i HIGHLY recommend just learning html and coding by hand, i can code a page just as fast as a WYSIWYG editor can make it, and their code is bloated badly...also having something write all the code for you makes you dependent on that program for everything (editing, updating, etc).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about for less that $75? I don't need the power of DreamWeaver. I just need something to help me build & maintain my site, which is now up. It is WWW.LECTRAPLAYER.COM and I need something decent to build and maintain it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which Package?

kaos77 said:
a friend of mine today told me Trellix was good, i cant vouch for that one personally either though....

if you have the time/desire i HIGHLY recommend just learning html and coding by hand, i can code a page just as fast as a WYSIWYG editor can make it, and their code is bloated badly...also having something write all the code for you makes you dependent on that program for everything (editing, updating, etc).
Trellix is a company. What software from them are you talking about? See if you can get ahold of your friend to find out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
he said he got the full suite, although that was years ago before he knew html, so the features and such may have changed...he said trellix was more like a full on site maintenance program with built in ftp and other maintenance tools, and not just a simple html editor....he said he really liked it though

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I found the Trellix software company, with many tools for making web sites. This still leaves my question--which package? What does the box look like? I realize this is kinda off the subject, but your site seems to be of a standardized design. I am ready for a change in style--like my site (though there isn't much to it yet!).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know something... Da Tru Masta is... da true masta. He found software I didn't see in my latest three rounds. I'll let you know how this package turns out.:winking:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.