Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

What steps do I need to do to detemine how my HD is partitioned, if it even is.
I completely wiped my HD clean, ran the diognostics and recovery, brought it back to win98 then installed winxp (all on my hard drive but in my friends computer)
Would all that I have done put a partition back in place or do I need to do that.
I put my hard drive back in my own computer and
WinXP wll not start up, I am having problems. I will write in with the whole message it gives me tomorrow.
Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here.
My HD with XP installed on it worked great in my friends computer but when I put it back into mine, it won't start up, it takes me to a DOS screen asking me to select a startup mode then no matter what I choose, it takes me to a blue screen (assuming it is a BIOS sscreen) and gives me almost 1/2 page of message.
My friend thinks it has to do with my graphics.

Thanks
Brenda-Lynn

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
you cannot install on one computer and then move the drive to another
it will not boot because it cannot find the m/b it was set to
try a repair install on your computer and then run your m/b setup disk

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hello Brenda-Lynn

You do have a partition on your hard drive. A hard drive will not work without being partitioned and formatted.

You don’t have to write the message. It isn’t a bios screen. It is an error message telling you that the hardware configuration on the drive does not match the hardware configuration of the computer the drive is installed in and it’s not going to work. I wouldn’t suggest even turning it on.

Unless the two computers are almost exactly the same, you can’t do what you’re trying to do without at least doing a repair install of xp and that requires a cd rom. However, there is a tool called sysprep that is on the xp cd or can be downloaded from Microsoft that will remove all the machine specific data from the drive and allow you to finish setting it up on yours. There may still be some issues if the two computers are too dissimilar, but it may be worth a shot. If you’d like, I will PM another tech I believe can assist you.

Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hwm54112 said:
Hello Brenda-Lynn

You do have a partition on your hard drive. A hard drive will not work without being partitioned and formatted.

You don’t have to write the message. It isn’t a bios screen. It is an error message telling you that the hardware configuration on the drive does not match the hardware configuration of the computer the drive is installed in and it’s not going to work. I wouldn’t suggest even turning it on.

Unless the two computers are almost exactly the same, you can’t do what you’re trying to do without at least doing a repair install of xp and that requires a cd rom. However, there is a tool called sysprep that is on the xp cd or can be downloaded from Microsoft that will remove all the machine specific data from the drive and allow you to finish setting it up on yours. There may still be some issues if the two computers are too dissimilar, but it may be worth a shot. If you’d like, I will PM another tech I believe can assist you.

Bill

Thank you so much Bill,
I am gona give it another shot today and try the sysprep while me HD is in my own computer. I'll write in with my results.
Brenda-Lynn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.