Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi could somebody please help me.

My PC was working fine last night but when i turned it on this morning i was unable to get on. It loads up fine and i can log on but it takes ages to log on then it loads background and nothing else, no start menu or desktop icons.

I put my HD into another pc and same thing happened but the HD of the other pc works fine in my comp. I tryed running it in safe mode, scrren just went black, and in debugging mode, exact same as before happened, just bg.

can someone please help? thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Can't

So far i figured out i am able to use task manager, which from i can open several programs e.g IE. I noted down the location of system restore and tryed to run it but it just brings up a blank white screen. I think it has somthing to do with Explorer.exe as it doesnt show up in the task bar, and that is what loads the start menu and desktop icons isnt it?

S

·
0 Posts
If you have a virus scan program on your computer it should have given you the option of making floppies for occasions such as this.

·
Registered
376 Posts
When you put this hard drive into the other computer, you set it up as a slave and checked to see if you could access the files and run disk checks, right? Booting a hard drive from one computer in a different computer can cause many problems, including damage from loading improper drivers and settings.

The computer starts fine, but the operating system on the hard drive won't successfully start? You may have been hit by a virus, but I'd assume that you have an anti-virus program that you keep updated every week. I also assume that you've regularly checked the integrity of the disk to make sure there are no bad sectors on it.

Did you add any new hardware to your computer recently or since you bought it? This problem can also occur if you add more hardware than the computer's power supply can handle.

How long have you had this computer? Perhaps the power supply is failing, which would cause this exact problem as well. This actually happened to me recently.

Did you install any new software recently? If improper drivers were loaded, or incompatible software installed, or virus/trojan/spyware was somehow installed, this would cause problems also.

As for fixing this, people are mentioning the best steps:
- Check for viruses and disk integrity. You can boot up your Norton CD and check for viruses without having to boot up the hard drive. Your hard disk manufacturer will have a utility for download that you can use to check disk integrity.
- Windows System Restore would be worth a try after you've explored other options.

If all else fails, you can hook this hard disk up as a slave in an operational computer and pull off all of your important files.

Out of curiosity, what brand and model hard drive are you using (written on the hard drive), and which motherboard are you using? If this is a store-bought computer, what brand and model is it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
You need to rule out the cause of the problem.
Since you have access to another PC and seems like you
feel comfortable switching hardware around, my suggestion is

1) Take the "bad" drive from the PC, set the jumpers to SLAVE,
2) Hook it up to the working PC,
3) Install a good AV on the working PC,
4) Scan the "bad" drive for virus, if a virus is found,
you'll know what to do ;)

5) If no virus is found, try to replace the file:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe with a new one.
make sure you use the same file version (and the same OS of course,
otherwise you're in trouble.

6) Post the results to the above suggestions.

PS: I take no respons. if you do what I say
without knowing what you are doing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.