Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! i am seeking advise on how to protect my desktop from other users messing it up. Like changing my wallpaper, renaming files on my desktop... is there a way to lock it? how? or is there a tool i can use.... thanks!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you are using XP Pro, yes there is a tool called group policy editor to help lock down Windows. Go to Start>Run> type "gpedit.msc" without quotes. This will allow you to set certain settings, either computer wide or per user. To set per user, log in as the user you want to set the policy for. To set policies, the logged in user must be an admin or have admin rights.

You could also just give other users different user accounts, through Start>Control Panel>User Accounts and have them just use another acct.

Hope it helps
BMR777

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, but i am using xp home edition w/ sp 2... xp home does't have this feature? how about any other tool that i can download? thanks!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes. Create your own account and put a password on it. Give everyone else there own account or the Guest account. They won't be able to access any of your files or settings that are stored in your documents folder or desktop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.