Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I hope someone has a quick answer for this.
I'm using a friend's computer and his desktop is missing. The background is there, but nothing else. I can run applications by going into Task Manager, but it's real PITA.
His system is a Fujitsu Siemens D1192 with an Intel Pentium 4 1300MHz processor and 128 MB RAM. He is running XP Pro, but doesn't have the installation disc so I can't run sfc /scannow. The copy is legit cos I've just run the validation check on it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in anticipation.
Pilot.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Do you mean there is no taskbar?
If so, go into task manager, click on 'Applications' tab, then 'New Task', type 'explorer.exe'.

Create new shortcuts to the programs (Right click the desktop, new, shortcut).

Try running check disc (Windows key + R, type 'chkdsk /r'.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

First of all I recommend you to restart the computer in safe mode and check for the issue.

Pls follow the below steps to start the computer in safe mode.

Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Joe,

Do you mean there is no taskbar?
If so, go into task manager, click on 'Applications' tab, then 'New Task', type 'explorer.exe'.

Create new shortcuts to the programs (Right click the desktop, new, shortcut).

Try running check disc (Windows key + R, type 'chkdsk /r'.)
I tried running explorer.exe. The taskbar flashed up then disappeared again. Right clicking on the background has no effect. I'll try chkdsk and see what that does.
Thanks,
Pilot.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

First of all I recommend you to restart the computer in safe mode and check for the issue.

Pls follow the below steps to start the computer in safe mode.

Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode.
Thanks naga, I'll try that when I've had my dinner.

·
Registered
103 Posts
sounds like a virus. and for the life of me I can not remember which one it is. if you can slave the drive in another computer you could run a virus scan on it.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
If explorer.exe flashes on/off, the computer normally will be infected. Get into SafeMode as advised and run through system scans with all that I know you're aware of from another post of yours.

You actually really need an XP on media storage for this. When you get in through SafeMode (or with networking), try seeing and noting down the EventViewer errors/warnings found in the Start Menu, under Accessories>Admin Tools.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Kalim,

If explorer.exe flashes on/off, the computer normally will be infected. Get into SafeMode as advised and run through system scans with all that I know you're aware of from another post of yours.

You actually really need an XP on media storage for this. When you get in through SafeMode (or with networking), try seeing and noting down the EventViewer errors/warnings found in the Start Menu, under Accessories>Admin Tools.
I can't get into Safe Mode. I think this machine is in a mess. It may be necessary to reformat. I'm going to try MicroBell's 5 steps first and then post a HJT log.
Regards,
Pilot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does you graphics card have the option for two monitors because some times windows tells the computer to show the start bar and the desk to on the seconded monitor. (To fix it go to the display properties and then click settings Select the second monitor and then unchek the extend my windows desktop onto this monitor).

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Chris and Kalim

You could try downloading a boot CD or floppies from www.bootdisk.com

The floppy one requires 6 floppies but it should get you to the OS.
Thanks for your advice, but I don't need a startup disc. Windows starts OK and all programs run, it's just that there is no desktop so that I have to run everything from Task Manager. I'm in the process of preparing for an HJT log. It's going to take a little while as I'm in someone else's house and it would be rude to devote myself to this problem and ignore my hosts:smile: .
Regards,
Pilot.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Defrag and also a System Restore before this happened should be considered.

Also just run a check of which Shdocvw.dll version you have in %systemroot%

I've dealt with this about two weeks ago with a friend. It was a common known F-Nimda virus for her. Do this:

Go to: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.txt

That will give you the instructions and the following site is the file to download and use: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg

The point of UBCD was to run system utilities and extensive checkups in DOS and thus something worse was to come about, you can bootup with the disc itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If possible pls send me the scrrenshots of the Desktop. I will try to figureout the reason for this issue. Pls send the screeshots of the Desktop in safe mode and normal mode.
Thanks

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi. Have you started the computer in safe mode. Pls let me know the status of this issue in safe mode?
Hi Kalim,

I can't get into Safe Mode. I think this machine is in a mess. It may be necessary to reformat. I'm going to try MicroBell's 5 steps first and then post a HJT log.
Regards,
Pilot.
If possible pls send me the scrrenshots of the Desktop. I will try to figureout the reason for this issue. Pls send the screeshots of the Desktop in safe mode and normal mode.
Thanks
Just picture nothing, no icons, no desktop, no toolbar coming up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.