Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda stuck here - my homemade rig is kaput and need help getting it started again. Original problem was that after moving it and hooking it up again I would hit the power switch and get absolutely no response. Opening the case I saw the mobo LED solid-on. If I hit the rocker switch on the PSU I would hear the standard capacitors discharging (kinda like a soft "pewww").
So, I went through and checked connections, everything was solid so I figured it must be 1. PSU 2.Mobo.
I'm not able to test the Mobo so I tested the PSU. Shorting the green/black produced nothing, except some flashes, electrical noises and lead-scented wafts of smoke from the PSU. Oh yeah, and an odd sense of panic in myself.
So cross my fingers, hope I didn't screw up the MOBO and other equipment I neglected to disconnect while testing the PSU. went out and bought a new PSU, installed it, only difference is that it's a 20+4 mobo connecter instead of a 20 and separate 3-pin fan lead. Mobo is a 20+4 connector so it should be ok.
Now I connect everything and the MOBO LED flashes once/3sec. and still doesn't power on.
Long story short, put my rig into standy (hibernate disabled), switched rocker switch to off, moved it, hooked it up again, wouldn't start, diagnosed problem PSU/Motherboard, reset BIOS, Fried PSU while testing, bought new PSU, won't startup - LED blinking every 3 sec.

Specs:
5-year old rig
P5GD1 mobo
380W Antec PSU (original)
430D Antec PSU (new)
XP 32 pro sp3
I'll add anything that is relevant. Oh, and yes I did google it but cannot find relevant info.
Help Please?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Are you using the Mobo's Onboard Graphics or a dedicated GPU?
A failing PSU, especially lower quality units, can damage other hardware when they fail. Best option is a bench test.
Remove all the RAM and try to boot. If the Mobo is good you should hear a consistent single beep from the Mobo speaker. If you have a Mobo speaker and no beep is heard the Mobo is most like damaged.

Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Look the Mobo over carefully for any swollen or leaking capacitors or burned spots.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.