Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS570 laptop, and when I turned it on yesterday, it booted up to my desktop and I could move the cursor around the screen, but none of my icons or the taskbar showed up. Ctrl-alt-delete didn't work, so I booted it in safe mode and ran chkdsk. It found one problem with .lnk file and fixed it, but the problem remained the same. I was able to open the task manager in safe mode, and I noticed that services.exe was using 99% of the CPU most of the time.

I have symantec antivirus software installed, I run Malwarebytes and regcure at least once a week and left them fix any problems. I am running Windows XP home with service pack 3 installed.

Can anyone help me?

·
Banned
330 Posts
Regcure may be the cause of it all. It's a myth, crapware and will never do anything useful for anyone, ever. As an aside, advocates that use it need to be directly confronted as often as possible due to the fact that their ignorance causes similarly uninformed people to use it and have serious problems. It SHOULD be classified as malware, not so much because of what it does, or what it claims to do, but due to the fact that so many ignorant people use it and then have problems.

Continue to run chkdsk in order to find out if the HD is consistantly good, or is giving regular errors as an early-warning sign of pending failure.

Have you used the Safe Mode menu to boot to "Use Last Known Good Configuration" ?

What happens when you use Task Manager to kill the process using 99% of the CPU ?

You should not have both Symantec and Anit-Malwarebytes. AV software frequently conflict and cause probems. Further, the effect of doubling your AV scanners does not double your protection. If it increases it at all, that increase is marginal. However, it DOES double the load on your computer resources, and slows your machine down. Uninstall one or the other.

If possible, running a System Restore may fix the whole problem. It's possible a Windows Update failed and an SR will send the machine back to when it worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regcure may be the cause of it all. It's a myth, crapware and will never do anything useful for anyone, ever. As an aside, advocates that use it need to be directly confronted as often as possible due to the fact that their ignorance causes similarly uninformed people to use it and have serious problems. It SHOULD be classified as malware, not so much because of what it does, or what it claims to do, but due to the fact that so many ignorant people use it and then have problems.

Continue to run chkdsk in order to find out if the HD is consistantly good, or is giving regular errors as an early-warning sign of pending failure.

Have you used the Safe Mode menu to boot to "Use Last Known Good Configuration" ?

What happens when you use Task Manager to kill the process using 99% of the CPU ?

You should not have both Symantec and Anit-Malwarebytes. AV software frequently conflict and cause probems. Further, the effect of doubling your AV scanners does not double your protection. If it increases it at all, that increase is marginal. However, it DOES double the load on your computer resources, and slows your machine down. Uninstall one or the other.

If possible, running a System Restore may fix the whole problem. It's possible a Windows Update failed and an SR will send the machine back to when it worked.
Task manager won't let me kill services.exe because it's a system process.

When I boot to last known good configuration, the same thing happens at my desktop.

I tried to do a system restore but no restore points show up.

·
Banned
330 Posts
If System Restore is not working, you have very few "general" options. It's possible you are infected, and that you could fix the problem while running Safe Mode. Forum Rules prohibit malware removal, etc... in the General Forums.

Which leaves 2 options, a Repair Install, and a New Install. Do you care about the data, settings, installed programs on the HD ? If not, running a Repair/New Install will be the fastest/most guaranteed way to fix it.

What are the results of the ongoing chkdsk scans ?

Can you check Event Viewer ? Maybe there is a hint there, possibly there is a service failing to start, which would explain the process running the CPU to 100%.

Also check Device Manager, click "show hidden devices". Report any flagged devices.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
42,837 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.