After months of playing around with Windows 8, I've come to a realization. This is only my opinion, but something to ponder. For the past years the mobile market has boomed, and has completely taken over the IT world. Tablets are preferred over laptops and notebooks for traveling employees. Smart Phones now remove the need for going into your office to check your calendar, mail, or any other information you might need. It's a total increase in mobility, that is economical and helps streamline many business processes.

As with many companies, Microsoft followed the great gravy train, and entered the mobile market, albeit a bit late. However, this didn't backfire for them as some expected, and they have successfully entered the mobile generation with smartphones, tablets and more importantly, a new version of Windows, designed to streamline touch-screen usage for mobile devices. Windows 8 has been actively used for a year now, and has many improvements in the recently launched Windows 8.1 update.

The reviews and opinions on Windows 8 are mixed, but generally positive. I have worked on Windows 8 and Windows 7 throughout the year, so I've had ample time to decide.

There's no doubt that Windows 8 is exceptionally well designed for mobile devices. The tile-system (known before as Metro) streamlines use with touch screens, making it easy to run applications, and access menus and options. It's fast, looks pretty sleek and runs smoothly on many tablets and devices, but has a lot less customization options for devices that are usually more fixed and standard.

However, I feel that this did not translate that well to PCs. Yes, its runs well on most computers, boots up fast, and still has the desktop for those who like their icons, but because it uses the same core as the mobile versions of Windows 8, it lacks depth in both control with a mouse and customization. I find many of the options feel 'hidden' and hard to find, which isn't necessarily bad, but it translates poorly when a old Windows user has to adjust while using a mouse. New installed programs are hard to find, the scrolling seems slightly annoying when you have a lot tiles, and a few other small things soured my liking for Windows 8. These are all easier when you use a touch screen.

My opinion? I think Microsoft should have built separate systems for the two platforms. A more mouse-friendly, more user-control based operating system for PC, and an ease-of-use version for mobile devices. They seem to have tried to put the best of both worlds into one OS and gave realism to the phrase "Jack of All Trades, Master of None".

This trend might become a problem for other companies as well. Although the desktop computer is far from becoming obsolete, the current market calls for mobile devices, and they are quickly rising as the most effective way of computing. Development in the mobile sector is being prioritized, with many big companies working on it. Will this have a long term affect on desktop computing?