Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my laptop (Dell XPS Gen 2) for about 5 months now, and have kind of regretted not getting Media Edition for the OS. I'm running XP Pro b/c I liked the ease of networking and normally don't like all the fancy, user-appealing GUI of the newer Media edition OS.

Could someone please let me know what is involved in getting TV on my laptop? Do I need to create another partition, put Media Center on it, and get a TV tuner to be used on that partition? How difficult is it to install and configure a TV tuner? What are my options for tuners (internal/external, price, etc)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
If you get a tv tuner card for your laptop it will come with the software you need to view tv, and in most cases record tv to your laptop.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
If Media Edition was an OS option for your laptop, does it already have a TV tuner? If it does, you may just need to download the software from Dell or from the TV tuner hardware manufacturer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the tuner in my laptop already. It was an upgrade option that i opted not to buy at the time of purchase, and you could only get it with Media Center Edition. If I were to purchase a TV tuner card for my laptop, what are some good websites to make this purchase (tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, etc)? What are some things I need to remember when browsing the cards (compatibility issues)? Have any idea what not to buy? Do you know an estimate on how much this is going to cost me? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.