Tech Support banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
My Dell Vostro 1500 laptop, Windows 7 (I know), has very slow speed tests. The router itself, Verizon said it's around 115, for downloads, and uploads. They also said there's no interference on the channel it's on. They said they saw all strong signals on devices connected. My wife's laptop is getting about 40 up and down, and my laptop is getting 4.5 DL, and 2.22 UL.
To bring you up to date, I bought a 7260 ac wlan card, and when it does work, it's like lightning, however, after a short period, it ceases working, after about 20 min. When it was working, i was getting about 55 up and down. Very fast.
Intel thinks my problem is driver related, as there's no drivers meant to work with Windows 7, anymore. The one I installed, from the Lenovo site, was for 7, from 2013. The driver update says it's the right driver.
I am using my old Dell wlan card since the ac card isn't working, but for some reason, it got sooo slow.
I just took out the card, and re-installed it, thinking maybe the board was dirty, but it's fine, and I made sure the two wires are installed properly, yes, I felt the click on both.
Something happened recently that really slowed me down.
Any ideas on what to do about this?
Thank you.
P.S. The Intel tech is searching for a better driver to work with the 7260.HMW ac card. He did install the Pro Set Driver package for Windows 10, to see if it would help? It did not. Do you think that could be hampering my system, confusing it?
PSS> When I updated to an SSD, the speed was amazing. Verizon sent us a new dual band router, and now the system is slow, on 2.4 GHz. I clicked to open an email, and it's been a minute, and it's still not loaded. When I got the SSD, it was instant, with the old router. Even with this new router, it was working, but not as fast as my old router. I switched because if I went out in the yard, there wasn't a signal.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,211 Posts
I would just update to Windows 10 (free) and see what happens.

·
29,211 Posts
The new OS comes with the drivers that should solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
42,035 Posts
Windows 7 has not been supported by Microsoft for about a year and a half now. Shortly, you will not be able to get online with Windows 7.
If you insist on keeping Windows 7, then do a Network Reset and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
42,035 Posts
Please Read the instructions in the Link to the Web Page provided in post #6. There are only 2 Command Prompts, the regular, and Elevated as Admin.
Start an Elevated Command Prompt (ie) go to Start/Search type CMD, Right click the CMD results in Search and Run As Administrator. Run the commands in that web page.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please Read the instructions in the Link to the Web Page provided in post #6. There are only 2 Command Prompts, the regular, and Elevated as Admin.
Start an Elevated Command Prompt (ie) go to Start/Search type CMD, Right click the CMD results in Search and Run As Administrator. Run the commands in that web page.
I ran the Cmd Prompts, except the Brachcache one said there was no command like that. I typed it several times, exactly, failed each time. I allowed Google Chrome to communicate for my laptop, but I'm still very slow. Can I reset the Branchcache another way?

·
29,211 Posts
Try typing only netsh first and Enter. Then add the cotext after that and reenter.

·
29,211 Posts
If you're starting in PowerShell, type cmd. You want to run the command in C:\Window\System32

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you're starting in PowerShell, type cmd. You want to run the command in C:\Window\System32
I don't know what Powershell is? I ran a search for it, and a command prompt window opened up, and I got the same error as before.

·
29,211 Posts
Are you showing C:\Window\System32 ? It won't work from what your Post#11 shows. Also try running it from "RUN"

·
Premium Member
42,035 Posts
You have to run these commands from an Elevated Command Prompt (ie) C:\Windows\System 32 ; NOT from C:\Users\Allen. Look at Post #8

In an Elevated Command Prompt (ie) C:\Windows\system32> Type
netsh branchcache reset and press Enter then type
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and press Enter, then type
netsh winsock reset and press Enter. You should see
Successfully Reset ... after each command

·
Premium Member
42,035 Posts
It will run, but you have to install Drivers from the Dell Download site in Compatibility Mode

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have to run these commands from an Elevated Command Prompt (ie) C:\Windows\System 32 ; NOT from C:\Users\Allen. Look at Post #8

In an Elevated Command Prompt (ie) C:\Windows\system32> Type
netsh branchcache reset and press Enter then type
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt and press Enter, then type
netsh winsock reset and press Enter. You should see
Successfully Reset ... after each command
I did this, as admin, and no change in speed with the up and downloading. I have 9 WAN miniport things in my hidden network adapters, are these all needed? Could the drivers for the 7260 card be interfering with my dell card driver? It’s so slow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts